I have lost a bunch of fat over the past year but I cannot lose this overhang at the bottom. What should I do? (Photo)

Do i need some type of surgery or is there other options?

Doctor Answers 11

Extra Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great job on loosing the weight. Unfortunately you have some extra skin that will never go away without removing it surgically. This is known as a tummy tuck, and you would be a great candidate. In your case, it would involve removing skin only, as you don't need fat removed nor muscle tightened. 

Go visit of few surgeons certified by the ABPS and members of the ASAPS.

Best of luck!

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 100 reviews

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Tysonthompson109, Thank you for your pictures and questions. Based on t the pictures it seems as if you would be a great candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck, I suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.
Best regards!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Excess skin of the abdomen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It seems like the solution to your problem may be straightforward. From your photo it looks like a direct skin excision below the underwear line would do the trick. There is very little downtime and you would not need the muscle tightened probably. You would need and examination by a board-certified plastic surgeon to better evaluate your situation and perhaps give you other options.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

You might also like...

Correcting loose abdominal skin after weight loss.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about your abdominoplasty.

  • Congratulations on the weight loss and your fitness!
  • The loose skin will not go away - the fat is gone, but the stretch skin remains.
  • You need some kind of abdominoplasty - an exam is needed to determine what might be done.
  • Then a discussion is needed as to what you want done -
  • After major weight loss, a full abdominoplasty or lower body lift are often needed -
  • But If your only concern is the lower overhand of skin, a removing of that excess skin with a low incision may be all you want - and indeed all you need. 
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Tummy Tuck of course!  That loose skin can be excised, (cut off) as a mini-abdominoplasty with a relatively short scar.  The cost would be considerably less than a full abdominoplasty as well and the results should be outstanding!  Good luck!

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

Skin tightening after weight loss.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on the photo a lower skin tightening procedure is all that is needed.  An in person consultation would be required to be sure. 

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 189 reviews

The most definitive answer requires an examination.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As a surgeon who frequently treats patients after significant weight loss, I can tell that these photos can occasionally be deceiving.  There is often much more looseness in the thighs and buttocks than the photos reveal.

The best way for me to determine whether a mini or full tummy tuck or a lower body lift would be most beneficial would be to examine you.  During that examination, I would carefully pinch and elevate the hip/outer thighs as well as the buttocks - simulating the effects of the outer thigh and buttock lift portion of a lower body lift.

If there is not much excess looseness in those two areas, you would not benefit from the lower body lift.  Additionally, if there is as little loose skin anteriorly as it appears from the frontal view photo, then you may be an excellent candidate for a mini tummy tuck.

Congrats on your success in losing weight.  Now, let's have you keep it off and get you help removing that left over skin excess.

Best of luck!

I have lost a bunch of fat over the past year but I cannot lose this overhang at the bottom. What should I do

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think the best, and likely only, option for you is to have a mini tummy tuck and have that skin permanently removed

Julio Garcia, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Loose Abdominal Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When you work hard at weight loss, as you must have, you can lose a lot of the fat, but the skin is not lost, it just gets looser. The only treatment is surgically removing the skin, in your case that is a TT, probably a mini TT, but it would take an exam to be certain. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

You are a good candidate for a skin only tummy tuck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You simply have laxity of your skin from weight gain/loss. The best method of correction would be to remove this area keeping the scar horizontal and low beneath your underwear line.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 168 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.