What procedure is right for me? Chin/Neck Lipo or a Chin Implant? (photos)

I have always hated my chin. I have a double chin and I'm no where near overweight. I also have a significant large amount of cheek fat. I was wondering if a chin/neck lipo would be enough to correct the problem I have, or would a chin implant be something to look into?

From the photos, it looks like you would benefit from chin, cheek liposuction with platysmal plication.This can be performed under local anesthesia, minimzing the costs and risks associated with sedation or general anesthesia.

Dr. Malouf

Dallas Dermatologist

It is hard to tell from the limited photos you posted.  However, it would appear that adding volume to your chin would be beneficial.  This can be done with a chin implant or, in some cases, using fat grafts.  Careful examination of your neck would determine whether laser-assisted liposuctioning of your neck would further enhance these results.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience performing these specific procedures.

What procedure is right for me? Chin/Neck Lipo or a Chin Implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is some excess fat below the chin.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Liposuction can be performed at the same time to reduce the fat below the chin however, liposuction alone or any fat dissolving injections by themselves would "not" provide the projection to the chin that a chin implant would offer.

Hope this helps.

What procedure is right for me? Chin/neck lipo or a chin implant?

The limited photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile along with fatty deposits in the neck. A chin implant can accomplish augmenting the mandible forward to help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the nose. Liposuction in the neck can accomplish improving the jawline. Both procedures are complementary to each other. Both procedures can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below