I had umbilical hernia surgery repair over 8 years ago. Is it safe to get my navel pierced?

Is it safe to get my navel pierced?

Thank you for your question.  Body piercing of any area is not without risks.  For most people it would be extremely rare to have an issue with body piercing.  In a case of piercing in an area of prior surgery one may wish to have the surgeon who did your repair to comment on this.  The presence of deep mesh at a surgical site may increase one's risks.  On the other hand, if the piercing site is remote from any surgical site then the risk may be negligible.  Seek information from your surgeon or a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine and have complete information.  Good luck.

Peabody Plastic Surgeon