How does a doctor determine which profile (moderate, moderate plus, or high profile) to use for breast augmentation? (Photo)

I had a consult with a local doctor. I am currently a 36A/34B. I tried on 300, 325, 350 & 375 cc silicone gel and I feel 350cc suits me best. The doctor wasn't very informative, he answered my questions, but he did not provide any additional info. I did not bring in pics, but plan to for the next consult. Well I called back to ask more questions and I then discovered they charted me for 350cc smooth, round silicone with HP. Im curious how they determined HP since it's not something we discussed?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation and breast projection.

the answer to your question is dependent on your ultimate expectations. Your plastic surgeon should perform an examination to determine your chest wall dimensions. That will then lead to a series of different projections of implants that will give you a selection that offers multiple options in projection. The higher the projection, The more breast projection, particularly superior pole fullness. In our practice, we use sizers that are helpful. Also helpful is bringing in pictures showing your desired result, particularly pictures without a brassiere garment on. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon should help you determine your expectations and help you achieve your desired result. Best of luck.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant profile

Thank you for your question. This will be determined by your measurements of chest and your goals . Your doctor will pick the best possible fit for you. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

How does a doctor determine which profile (moderate, moderate plus, or high profile) to use for breast augmentation?

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.

I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Profile

Most surgeons base the profile or height of the implant according to your measurements and the desired look you want. If you go back, please ask your surgeon whey he chose the profile selected.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Profile Depends on Existing Breast Tissue

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. This is a very good question. Choosing breast implants includes decisions about size, shape and filler material, as you seem to understand fairly well. Choosing an implant's profile is a bit more complicated. A plastic surgeon often recommends a breast implant profile based on the physical examinations of the patient's body type, with considerations for how much tissue is currently present in the upper pole of the breast and the patient's cosmetic goals. I encourage you to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who is able to adequately answer all of your questions about the procedure.