I am a 29 year old mother of 3 and nervous about the risks of Mommy Makeover. Any suggestions?

I am a 29 year old mother of three who is ready to have her body back( TT, BA ,BL ) I am nervous about Blood clots and PE mainly.....I know that no mother wants to put her family at risk of being motherless due to an elective procedure.... How serious/common are the risks really? I am a non smoker , I am very active as I chase 3 boys around all day plus exercise 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes, and am not on birth control, I'm a little heave but have lost 50# since last preg.

Risks of Having Mommy Makeover Surgery

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation.

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. 
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

In healthy non-smokers mommy makeover surgery is quite safe.

There is no operation performed that does not have at least some wrist. Mommy makeover surgery in properly selected patients performed by competent surgeon's is extremely safe with predictably good results. Your surgeon will discuss all the pros and cons of the operation.

Planning a mommy make-over with lowest possible risks

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Congratulations on your weight loss and your lovely family!
  • Ask your surgeon to calculate your DVT risk.
  • Exparel (a long acting local anesthetic) will help  because you have less pain and can walk easily from the start.
  • A walker will help you get around.
  • Having 2 separate operations instead of one long one helps to lower the risk as well.
  • Anticoagulation after surgery is possible as well - but the risks of bleeding generally outweigh the risk of DVT/PE in low risk patients.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Schedule a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Deciding to have a Mommy Makeover is an important, personal decision. Taking your time to acquire all the facts and considerations of the surgery, will help alleviate some anxiety about the procedure.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Risk Of Blood Clots & PE of Mommy Makeover

Your Nervousness is understandable. The risks given your active lifestyle and not being on pills or a smoker are much less than many other patients. Adequate precautions are now taken to prevent these rare but serious risks. These includes use of mechanical pumps and sometimes medications as well as early ambulation. The protocols for these preventive measures are well established. Once all the precautions are taken in your situation the chances of your having any of these complications are extremely rare.

All The Best.

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Surgery Risks

Dear Boymom309,

It is normal to feel anxious before an elective procedure as well as excited. You are asking the right questions, of course. The risk factors in general of getting a deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the legs) that can break off and travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism), previous history of DVT, operation under general anesthesia over 30 minutes, use of birth control pills and prolonged bed rest are well known. From your description of yourself, you sound young and healthy to do this procedure, and it is a combination that we do frequently in my own practice. It is important that you discuss with your board certified surgeon that kind of protection would be employed. In our own center, everyone who goes to sleep regardless of how low risk they might be, have sequential compressive hose placed on their calves during surgery and in the postop period that squeeze the calves every 10-15 seconds so that blood does not stagnate and set up for blood clots. Some people also employ low-dose blood thinners, but we prefer not to over treat with this method as it increases the chance of postoperative bleeding and hematomas (blood collections in the operative site). Early ambulation is also very important in the postoperative period. Though no one can guarantee absolute elimination of complications, this offers you the safest way to proceed.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Young Mother Anxious About Surgery

It's entirely normal for you, as a young mother, to be anxious about the thought of surgery. Life changes dramatically after having children, and you now have others who are dependent on you. I recommend a face to face consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can discuss your medical history and what your potential risks may be for the types of surgeries you are wanting. Until your entire medical history, along with current prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, is taken into account, it is difficult to assess what your actual risks are. 

In addition to the actual surgery itself, your recovery is something you'll need to consider carefully. Having adequate help with the children will be essential for any surgery, and in particular a multiple procedure surgery such as a Mommy Makeover that might include Tummy Tuck and other procedures. I've attached an article you may find helpful that addresses healing.

I wish you luck in exploring your Mommy Makeover and applaud you for taking the time to do your homework!

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety is the Norm…

Thank you for the question. Anxiety prior to proceeding with elective surgery is the norm. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals and concerns. After an in person evaluation, your "risk profile" can be assessed accurately. Assuming you are in good health, choose your plastic surgeon carefully, and have the procedure performed under the supervision of a board-certified anesthesiologist in a fully accredited surgery center, you should do well. The chances of a "major" complications are very small.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to mommy makeover surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Mommy

After having three kids i recommend you the Mommy Makeover. Every surgery has risks but it is very important  to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who works at a habilitated clinic or hospital. I suggest you go to an in person consultation for orientations.

Aramis Vega, MD

I am a 29 year old mother of 3 and nervous about the risks of Mommy Makeover.

Your question and concerns show a good level of maturity. The risk of blood clots is extremely rare, and lately even less common as more and more surgeons are putting their TT patients on a postoperative blood thinner called Lovenox. In over 30 years of doing TTs I have had no deaths and only two patients with PE and that was before Lovenox.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD