Is it too soon to worry? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty dont 2 weeks ago, i know my nose is a bit swollen but i see little things that are concerning me. Is it to soon to get worried? the tip i feel i have a little dip and i feel my nostrils make me look like i have a pig nose.

Rhinoplasty recovery

The short answer to your question is - yes.  It is too early to worry as the swelling of a rhinoplasty can take several months to go down completely.  Please be patient, and please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  She or he is the one who did your surgery and knows exactly what was done and how your anatomy looks on the inside.  Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Rhinoplasty Recovery Period

Since it has only been 2 weeks after your rhinoplasty procedure, any swelling or bruising is completely normal. After a cosmetic nasal surgery, it is common for the nose to be swollen for a few weeks. Some patients can even experience swelling for months until it is complete gone. You can reduce swelling by sleeping on your back on 2-3 pillows to keep your head elevated. I recommend speaking to your facial plastic surgeon about other tips in reducing swelling. If you are still concerned about the shape and swelling of your nose after 6 months, I recommend consulting your facial plastic surgeon about a revision rhinoplasty. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Is it too soon to worry?

After two just 2 weeks,it's way to early to predict the final shape and result.It usually takes 6 weeks for immediate postoperative swelling to go down and a whole year for all the swelling to disappear.You must be patient . After Rhinoplasty,noses generally look better with time so try to be patient as things settle.It looks like a nice result so far.

Burr von Maur, MD

Is it too soon to worry?

Thank you for your question.  At just 2 weeks after your surgery yes it is too soon for you to be worried.  It will take several months before you see your final result.  Your nose will go through many changes between now and the time your nose is finished healing.  Swelling will come and go and your nose will change its shape constantly.  Try not to look at it too closely every single day if that is possible.  I know that is a very hard thing to do but you will be surprised how much it will change.  If you have questions it is always best  to contact your surgeon and also make sure to go your regular follow up appointments.
Best of luck,Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Is it too soon to worry 2 weeks after rhinoplasty ?

A little over projection and over rotation is normal during the first few weeks. This will correct itself as the last of the swelling and firmness leaves the tissues.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear tinkdenise, You are to early in the recovery phase to determine any long term results. Have patience during this time and do not hesitate to contact your surgeons office and have many follow up appointments so they can walk you through the recovery process and hopefully provide some peace of mind. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. At 2 weeks, you're in the earliest stage of healing. It's too early to evaluate your result. The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

The majority of the swelling in your nose will also resolve in the first 3-6 months.  Give yourself appropriate time to heal before becoming too concerned. Happy Healing!

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Is it too soon to worry?

Hello, and thank you for the question. In general, it takes 18-24 months for the final result of rhinoplasty to be evident. Swelling is 70% resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. 2 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and it is not uncommon to have some irregularities present; they may be a result of the swelling. I would recommend communicating any specific concerns to your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to advise you. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Is it too soon to worry

That is a Great question.  It is normal when recovering from you rhinoplasty procedure to have some swelling and asymmetry.  It is usually 4-6 months before you see the final results.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon