What would you do to fix my top lip? (Photo)

Split my top lip open when I was younger and never went to hospital because my parents thought that after the scab went it'd be back to normal but instead I was left with excess scar tissue and have always felt ugly because of how unbalanced it is. It looks worse from above than it does from below. Would it need to be filled? or would it need to be cut and reshaped? How pricey would something like this be to do?

What would you do to fix my top lip?

Superficial scars on all body areas may be successfully flattened and/or diminished with cortisone injections right into the area. Afterward some filler injections with Juvederm Volbella® may enhance the overall shape of the lip. Since these are advanced procedures, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.    

Miami Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Fillers can work to create a more symmetrical pair of lips. Keep in mind that lip fillers add volume to thin lips but are not permanent. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Lip Solution

You could surgically have the scar removed, however this can be improved with fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm). These are good to create a symmetrical lip and can give you more fullness in the top lip. Prices will vary. Please see an expert for a consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Fillers Can Be Used To Fix Lip Assymetries

Several options present themselves for the treatment of your upper lip problem. 

One is to have the scar surgically removed. A much simpler, quicker, and less expensive option would be to have it injected with an anti-inflammatory agent in order to shrink it, the way we ordinarily treat any hypertrophic or keloid scars. 

Perhaps the most simple and fastest option would be the artistic use of a filler to mask the protruding scar and to establish better proportionality between the sides of your upper lip and its relationship with your lower lip. Ideally, in caucasians, the volume ratio of the upper to lower lips is 1:1.6. The photo suggests that this ratio is less here. It also appears that the projection of the tubercle (the central portion of the upper lip) is actually best on the side of the scar. Given this, the use of a filler to enhance the tubercle on the non-scarred portion, as well as to augment the remainder of the upper lip would easily achieve the kind of balance and symmetry you are seeking. My favorite filler for this purpose in my Upper East Side Manhattan office is Juvederm Ultra Plus XC. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available would be Princess Volume).

You would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified core aesthetic physician with expertise and skill in nonsurgical lip augmentation and enhancement with fillers. Be certain to ask to see his or her before and after photos before proceeding, since the lips are an advanced injection technique that should not be left to the hands of novice injectors trained only in using ordinary Restylane to treat simple smile lines. Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Improving upper lip from prior trauma

Small improvements can be made using HA fillers. Most likely only one syringe is needed. It will last 4-6 months in duration. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

What would you do to fix my top lip?

From the photo it appears that a revision procedure will probably produce a good improvement. A full exam is needed to determine an exact surgical plan.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip issue

You might need a scar revision, but it is hard to say from just the photo. You may only need filler to better balance it. Best to be seen in person.

Scars and Lips

Scars and lips can be adjusted by lip augmentation.  An in person consultation is needed to see if this can be fixed with fillers.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Asymmetry

Shannon.   Hard to be sure without physical exam but options for you include scar revision, cutting out your lip scar and closing it symmetrically, or possibly fillers, which is only temporary. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

What would you do to fix my top lip?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your previously lip injury. Though nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs you can either have the scar tissue removed to better match the uninjured side or if you are interested in an overall increase in lip size you can camouflage the thickness by adding dermal filler to the remainder of your lip.  Hope this helps.