What would you do to fix my top lip? (Photo)

Split my top lip open when I was younger and never went to hospital because my parents thought that after the scab went it'd be back to normal but instead I was left with excess scar tissue and have always felt ugly because of how unbalanced it is. It looks worse from above than it does from below. Would it need to be filled? or would it need to be cut and reshaped? How pricey would something like this be to do?

Doctor Answers 10

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Fillers can work to create a more symmetrical pair of lips. Keep in mind that lip fillers add volume to thin lips but are not permanent. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Asymmetrical Lip Solution

You could surgically have the scar removed, however this can be improved with fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm). These are good to create a symmetrical lip and can give you more fullness in the top lip. Prices will vary. Please see an expert for a consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 159 reviews

Fillers Can Be Used To Fix Lip Assymetries

Several options present themselves for the treatment of your upper lip problem. 

One is to have the scar surgically removed. A much simpler, quicker, and less expensive option would be to have it injected with an anti-inflammatory agent in order to shrink it, the way we ordinarily treat any hypertrophic or keloid scars. 

Perhaps the most simple and fastest option would be the artistic use of a filler to mask the protruding scar and to establish better proportionality between the sides of your upper lip and its relationship with your lower lip. Ideally, in caucasians, the volume ratio of the upper to lower lips is 1:1.6. The photo suggests that this ratio is less here. It also appears that the projection of the tubercle (the central portion of the upper lip) is actually best on the side of the scar. Given this, the use of a filler to enhance the tubercle on the non-scarred portion, as well as to augment the remainder of the upper lip would easily achieve the kind of balance and symmetry you are seeking. My favorite filler for this purpose in my Upper East Side Manhattan office is Juvederm Ultra Plus XC. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available would be Princess Volume).

You would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified core aesthetic physician with expertise and skill in nonsurgical lip augmentation and enhancement with fillers. Be certain to ask to see his or her before and after photos before proceeding, since the lips are an advanced injection technique that should not be left to the hands of novice injectors trained only in using ordinary Restylane to treat simple smile lines. Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

You might also like...

Improving upper lip from prior trauma

Small improvements can be made using HA fillers. Most likely only one syringe is needed. It will last 4-6 months in duration. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

What would you do to fix my top lip?

From the photo it appears that a revision procedure will probably produce a good improvement. A full exam is needed to determine an exact surgical plan.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Lip issue

You might need a scar revision, but it is hard to say from just the photo. You may only need filler to better balance it. Best to be seen in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Scars and Lips

Scars and lips can be adjusted by lip augmentation.  An in person consultation is needed to see if this can be fixed with fillers.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Asymmetry

Shannon.   Hard to be sure without physical exam but options for you include scar revision, cutting out your lip scar and closing it symmetrically, or possibly fillers, which is only temporary. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

What would you do to fix my top lip?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your previously lip injury. Though nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs you can either have the scar tissue removed to better match the uninjured side or if you are interested in an overall increase in lip size you can camouflage the thickness by adding dermal filler to the remainder of your lip.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Correcting Lip Deformities after Trauma or Injury

The best solution to  minimize deformity after injury to the lip is to accurately appose the layers of the lip to ensure healing in the correct position. Since the lips are mobile structures, this is usually best achieved by accurately suturing any layers which have been injured, including the moist layer on the inside of the lip (mucosa), the muscle within the lip, and the skin and dry outer red portion (vermillion) of the 

It is not possible to accurately determine what parts of your lip have been injured from the photo alone, but it is likely that the vermillion and the muscle have been injured.  During the consultation, your plastic surgeon will feel the lip to detect areas of excess scar or unrepaired muscle, and areas where the lip has healed over on the outside but the muscle has not healed correctly within the lip. Assessing your lip at rest and when smiling will help identify these.

It is understandable that you you dislike the appearance of your lip as our faces are how we interact with friends and society. Fillers or fat grafts inserted into your lip might help disguise the deformity but will not repair the lip muscle and the deformity may be visible when you smile or laugh. The better solution would be to recreate the laceration on your lip and then correctly repair the layers surgically,  as I outlined above. I would advise you to research a plastic surgeon that performs facial cosmetic or reconstructive surgery OR a plastic surgeon that performs pediatric plastic surgery especially cleft lip surgery (a congenital disorder where the child is born with a split in the lip, 'hare lip'.

I notice you live in the UK. If may be beneficial for your to discuss your deformity with your parents if a minor and/or your GP, indicating that you did not receive any treatment at the time of or after injury. 

Kevin Murphy, MD, FRCS(Plast)
Galveston Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.