How much for a Tummy tuck? (photos)

So I had a child six and a half years ago. I developed polyhydramnios. I hate the loose skin on my belly and my stretch marks. I had one consultation and the DR said a full tummy tuck was best but he'd charge for the mini because I have no fat to get rid of. I just need the muscles put back in place and the excess skin cut off. I also scar really well but I REALLY want to make sure I get a normal looking belly button AND a very low scar.

Getting the perfect tummy tuck

• The perfect tummy tuck requires a lot of things including removal of excess skin; thinning of the abdominal wall fat; nice contouring of the flanks; flattening of the bulging belly; a beautiful low scar and a natural looking belly button.  
  • The most obvious signs of a tummy tuck I see when I am at the beach are high scars and poorly done belly buttons.  I spend a lot of time securing the scar in a nice low position and making a beautiful belly button.  It takes time but I think that making the best belly button possible is the key to a great tummy tuck. Make sure to see several of your surgeon's belly button examples and that they consistently make them look natural.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck

I would need to examine you in person to be sure, but I would be very suspicious of a surgeon who promised you that you could have a full tummy tuck AND a very low scar.  A very low scar is only possible when one has enough skin laxity to move the belly button hole all the way down to the upper pubic area in order to close all of the skin which is removed.  From your pictures, it does not appear that you have enough skin to do that unless this is a "mini" or modified tummy tuck.  The decision-making process is somewhat complicated, so make sure you schedule a few consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons, not "cosmetic surgeons".

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

The fee will vary from surgeon to surgeon. This can also vary in different parts of the country. Best to find a surgeon that you are comfortable with.  

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  Cost varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck Pricing

Thanks for your question and the Photos. From the pictures you look like a good candidate for a full tummy tuck. Your surgeon will be able to confirm this with an in person examination examination and pinch test.

Pricing will vary depending on many factors, such as cost in your region for anesthesia and facilities and overhead. Even surgeon age and experience can play role. Realself says the average price is about $8100, but be sure you know what you are getting. Some surgeons do not include the the anesthesia and facility fees in their quotes.

While price is a concern it is really more important to be comfortable with your surgeon. Discuss your concerns about the scar and belly button and make sure that there are good lines of communication.

Hope this helps. The Faq link below may help as well.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

How much for a Tummy tuck?

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.