Upper eyelid symmetry/shape 2 weeks post-op; will I likely need another procedure? (Photo)

Had upper eyelid and full cut brow lift 13 days ago. Right eye was way too wide - couldn't close eye and very uncomfortable. Had adjustment 4 days later which provided immediate relief. All stitches and staples have since been removed but right eye isn't symmetrical. Dr advised to massage after right eye stitches were removed 2 days ago - have a follow up next week. So far still no change. Realistic to think that it will even out naturally w/ massage? Or will I likely need another procedure?

Post-op upper eyelid blepharoplasty

Two weeks is very early - you will likely notice improvement in the appearance and symmetry over the next few weeks. Once the incisions fade and thin, you may find that you may not need or want additional surgery. Stay in touch with your surgeon for follow-up. Best wishes!

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post ptosis

You are still a little higher on the right, but in the early healing phase.  The biggest difference is seen in the upper sulcus - the hollow area below the bone.  It is much deeper on the right, which can occur if fat is removed here.  You are somewhat deep on the left as well, and as the swelling goes down they may look more symmetrical.  It would be good to see a pre-op photo to see how deep you were pre-op. If asymmetric here after a few months can put some Restylane into the hollow area to fill it in.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is only two weeks after your surgery. Try to be patient

it has only been two weeks. I believe there is possibility that time can resolve the problem. Try to be patient and make sure to do the massaging as your doctor recommended. Make sure to have your F/U as your doctor recommended.  

Upper eyelid surgery

It is still too early to determine if you will need a repeat procedure. In your picture, your right upper eyelid does appear higher than the left, however I generally tell my patients that we cannot assess the final position of the eyelid until about 4-6 afters the procedure. As your doctor recommended, I would continue massaging the right upper eyelid as this can help relax the eyelid to a slightly lower position. In order to determine if you will need a repeat procedure, your doctor will want to wait until all the swelling has settled. The earliest this could occur would be at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Maryam Nazemzadeh, MD
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon