Which would you recommend; Fraxel or IPL?

I can only afford 1 or 2 treatments so I was wondering which procedure would work better for me. I am 38 years old and have sun spots, freckles and some fine lines. I am more concerned about the spots than the fine lines. I am trying to decide between Fraxel and IPL as well as find a good doctor to do it in Westchester County. Thanks!
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Thank you for your question. If you have to decide between pigmentation and fine lines you should consider a CO2 laser that treats both. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for the most effective treatment for your budget.

Brown spots

I love Fraxel, but if you are on a tight budget, and really only concerned with specific brown spots and not overall texture or fine lines, then you should consider the Yag laser.

Estee Williams, MD

Fraxel laser is superior to IPL

Fraxel laser is far superior to IPL, in my opinion, in reducing pigmentation and fine lines.  The degree of sun damage, however, will determine your results.  If you have small very dark spots that are scattered, the trivantage laser may be the best laser for you.  I have all of these lasers and it really depends on the type of sun damage.  That is why an in office consultation is really necessary to determine the course of treatment.
Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is a laser specialist for the best cosmetic results.

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited

Elliot M. Heller, MD