My ear has split, I don't want to sow it up completely. Can I just reconnect the two sides and continue stretching? (Photo)

My ear is still connected as of right now, but by a thread of skin. I don't want to sow my ear up completely. I just want the two sides reconnected so I can continue to stretch it.

Doctor Answers 7

Earlobe flap closure in Los Angeles

I would suggest a flap closure technique to repair your gauge scars. This is a simple outpatient procedure but takes meticulous attention to detail. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews


Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget. Insurance typically wont cover this. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Ear lobe tear

We could connect it. You obviously risks to re-tear it though. I do a lot of research on wound healing. After we suture and treat a wound it will gain only 80% of its previous strength. So you can go a head and re-stretch but you will have to be even more careful than you were before.

I would recommend giving it at the very least 6 months prior to re-stretching. 

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,


Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Split earlobe

The two ends of you earlobe can be sewn back together, but scar tissue is never likely to be a strong as the surrounding normal skin, and will therefore likely preferentially stretch and therefore leave with with a thin portion once more. This can be improved by not performing a direct end-to-end repair, but a stepped repair so that the scar is sandwiched between healthy tissue above and below. Once repaired you will have to leave it for several months (and I would suggest 6 months) before trying to restretch it. 

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Split earlobe correction

The simple answer is yes you can reconnect to two ends.  The caveat is that in order to achieve a strong repair some of the thin and damaged skin at the split site will need to be removed during the repair.  You will also need to wait a couple of months before replacing the earlobe gauge.  Hope that helps!

Timothy Minton, MD
Savannah Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Split earlobe

First, there is nothing left to stretch. Second, a skin to skin closure, while sounding simplistic, does not work and would result in a contracted deformity.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

A split, expanded earlobe

Hello Austinislegitt- The tips of your earlobe could be sewn together but I would try not to sewn them tip to tip. Rather, each of the ends of the tubed skin could be cut on a longer oblique so that there is greater surface area to sew together. This should give the repair greater strength and thickness after it heals. Consider giving it a couple months before trying further expansion. It would be important to figure out what contributed to the loss of the tubed skin in the first place and avoid whatever that is in the future.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.