Are fat injection grafting or Restylane injections more tolerable in the upper face temple areas?

For filling in hollowed areas around the temple are fat grafting injections or restylane injections for volume filling less painful and tolerable and can either of these procedures with a local anesthetic in an office setting?

Volumizing Fillers Work Well For Nonsurgical Temple Augmentation

Revolumizing the temple has become a routine procedure for improving not sunken, hollow temples, but the secondary problems resulting from it, such as sinking of the brows. For treating this region I prefer hyaluronic acid-based volumizers possessing a good lifting capacity, such as Restylane Lyft (which I would use in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice or Hyaluronica 2, my go-to for this in my Israel satellite facility where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizers are available).  I am not much of a fan of fat injections for a number of reasons and actually stopped offering them years ago. For one thing, fat injection is a minimally invasive, two step process, one to remove the fat from one location and the second to reinject it in the second location. For another, the thicker nature of fat requires larger cannulas, and hence more potential trauma. Thirdly, although there has always been the promise that fat would last longer,  this as unfortunately often not proven the case. In addition, there is no easy way to remove fat, should the need arise, while natural hyaluronic acid fillers may be dissolved readily by the enzyme, hyaluronidase. And finally, complications can be quite severe if undissolvable fat should be inadvertently injected into the blood vessels in this blood vessel rich zone.  The temple is a richly vascular areas and only experienced physician injectors should treat this region. It is noth for novice injectors accustomed to treating simple smile lines with ordinary fillers, like Restylane or Juvederm. Make sure you consult with a board certified aesthetic physician and be certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos. Good luck.

Dermal fillers in the temples

We now have an excellent choice of safe and long lasting products for restoring volume in the temples and I have gotten away from fat injections for most patients in favor of these products.  The results of dermal fillers are more predictable, can last for years and patients are very happy when performed correctly in the right candidates. Those results can also be modified while fat transfer is very difficult to reverse.  My filler of choice for temples would be Sculptra but HA products, such as Restylane could be successfully used too.  The discomfort associated with injections of dermal fillers is minimal.  Normally we mix them with local anesthetic as well as apply topical numbing cream to the area prior to the treatment.  Hope this helpful.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers have minimal down time

Both fillers and fat may be used to rejuvenate the temples. That being said, I think it is much more common to have fillers placed into this area. Having the fat harvested is more invasive (and pain) then having fillers placed in the same location. Fillers can be placed into the temple in the office with minimal pain or discomfort. Best of luck in your area!

Temple Fillers

Temples can be filled with either your own fat or any of the hyaluronic acid fillers. The fat has potential to last much longer, but both may need replacement at some point. Both are considered safe and effective. Temple wasting does make us look older. 

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temple area

Temple hollows can be treated with fat or filer products.  I have used both and for long lasting results fat may be better.

Temple fill

all of the ha fillers work well in these locations, there are some technical issues with placement, which don't affect the results much. Plain restylane or juvederm will last 2 to 4 years in this location. I have never seen dark diiscolotrian in the temple from  ha injections......I've done hundreds.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fillers to temples

There are several options for you. Actually Allergan is developing a new filler called Volbella which will launch in the fall. Even though it will be approved for around the mouth and in the lips, I believe it will be a good option for the temple region too. One major issue with this area is the thickness of the skin there - so many people have very thin skin that the wrong filler will leave discolorations like the Tyndall effect. I do use Restylane Silk in the temple region now, but I think Volbella may work as well if not better. For the best answer, visit an experienced injector (or a few) for personal consultations. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."