Is PCOS hair loss on scalp (hairline, temples, crown) permanent or can it grow back?

I'm 26 and have PCOS. I've recently started noticing really alarming hair thinning on hairline, crown and temples. I was on Spironolactone and Alesse birth control but stopped back in December. I recently started Spiro, but haven't taken it religiously (100 mg). Just wondering if PCOS hair loss is permanent, or is reversal (hair regrowth) possible with the right course of treatment? I'm seeing an Endocronologist soon, but still upset about my hair. Thanks!

PCOS - is hair loss permanent?

Hair loss with PCOS can be challenging for some women but treatments like Minoxidil (Rogaine) and spironolactone (usually 100 mg twice daily) with birth control are at the top of the list. I usually recommend a non androgenic or anti-androgenic birth control pill (not all birth control pills are the same). 

Other options include low level laser therapy and platelet rich plasma.

Not all women with PCOS regrow their hair but about 50-60 percent would be expected to see an improvement in hair density.  Some women have a considerable improvement. Making sure that iron, thyroid and B12 levels are adequate is very important. 

Hair transplants can be an option sometimes if hair loss and thinning in the back of the scalp has not occurred. 

All in all, be sure to meet with a physician knowledgeable about treatment hair loss in women with PCOS

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

PCOS can cause some forms of hair loss in women but it is not the only cause of hair loss in women.

PCOS can cause some forms of hair loss in women but it is not the only cause of hair loss in women.  There is no way to say if the hair loss is permanent since it would be a broad generalization.  You need to see a doctor for a better assessment.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon