Lip Lift or Fillers?

As I age my upper lip if dissapearing and while it was never full, this is now bothering me enough to do something. I am considering an upper lip lift but am concerned about the scar being visible. Is this a concern? Should I stick with fillers? Thank you.

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. Fillers will allow you to explore temporary fullness in the upper lift, while a lip lift will offer a more permanent result. A subnasal lip lift can create a slight lift in the upper lift. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers have limits

The lips do loose a small amount of volume with age, but the most significant change with time is that the upper lip becomes longer.  Fillers can partially restore the appearance, but the aren't addressing the real issue.  It's like treating the strange sound your engine is making by turning up the radio.  At first no one can tell, but if you keep going at some point everyone is going to be staring at you.  A lip lift treats the problem directly and you will suddenly find that your don't need any more fillers yet have a larger appearing and fuller lip.  For most patients the scar is not an issue, and it heals so well that it is almost impossible to see.  In patients with darker skin, a history or keloid formation, or other problems with healing the scar can be a bigger concern.  Your surgeon will be able to show exactly when the scar would be and what it could look like in a best and worst case scenario.  

Bryan Rolfes, MD 

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist