When Will The Ideal Implant Be Available?

I read an article about a new breast implant called the Ideal Implant, and was wondering when it will be made available to the public? Also, do you think it's all it's cracked up to be?

The Ideal Breast Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The Ideal breast implant is a saline implant that has been in development since 2006. It is presently in clinical trials. That means it could be available within several years or never. Although the name of this implant sounds great, the new cohesive gel silicone implants presently available from 3 different manufacturers are just about as close to "ideal" as possible. Unlike saline implants, if a tear develops in the shell, they will not cause you to lose your breast volume. Unlike the previous gel implants, the gel is relatively cohesive and, therefore, less likely to be a problem if their shell becomes torn. In addition to a much better implant than previously, we now have information on technical modifications of the surgery itself which can significantly improve outcomes. I would, therefore, suggest that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon who keeps up with the changes in technique and modifies their surgery accordingly. They should, ideally, use a cohesive gel silicone implant inserted through an inframammary incision with the nipple excluded from the surgical field and use antibiotic irrigation of the pocket. To speed your recovery, they should also dissect the pocket in which the implant is placed under direct vision using a cautery rather than by blunt dissection.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Implant is now available in Toronto

i am very excited by this new implant.  I think it's going to be a game changer.  All the benefits of a silicone without the need for a silicone.  Starting now, sept 2015 we'll be the first clinic in Toronto to offer this new breast implant.

Ideal Implant

It's hard to tell when these will be available. In the past, when a new implant was in it's study phase, and I am referring to the cohesive gel implants from Mentor and Allergan, things were very "hush hush". Even the reps would act as if they knew nothing. Then, with no warning, a press release would announce the availability of the implants. I would recommend you contact one of their investigator surgeons (there's a list of them on their website) if you live near one and see what they have to say.

Ideal breast implants now available in New England

The ideal implant may be “ideal” for you, if you are concerned about silent rupture of silicone gel implants, but did not like the less natural feel of traditional saline implants.  They are more natural in feel than saline but still not quite as soft as silicone.

The Ideal implant was approved by the FDA in November of 2014, but has only had limited availability until recently.  Initially only the 120 plastic surgeons who were investors in the company had access. They are now starting to release it to more board certified plastic surgeons.  We are pleased to be one of the first practices in the New England area to be able to offer this.  It has a profile similar to a high profile implant.  I would say that it is much more natural in feel than a saline implant, but still not quite as soft and natural as a silicone gel implant.  So my patients that want the most natural feel are still choosing silicone.  The most common implant used in the country is a round smooth silicone gel implant.  And the FDA has shown silicone to be safe and effective.  The FDA recommends in their labeling instructions that you get an MRI 3 years after surgery and every 2 years thereafter to check for a rupture. One analysis in 2014 in the Archives of Plastic Surgery found that

silent ruptures occurred in 9-12 percent of cases eight years after implantation. In a silent rupture, the outer shell of the implant can rupture, but the cohesive gel stays inside the scar

tissue capsule that has formed around the implant. SO there may be no visible or palable change in the

breast- the rupture is silent. Is it harmful-

no

- in the short run not much is seen. Over years the silicone

can cause some irritation of the local capsule and thickening. But if we

know the implant is ruptured we generally like to replace it. 

So leaked.  The saline is absorbed and the shell goes flat.  The American Society for Aesthetic plastic surgery, in 2014, reported that 20% of breast augmentations used saline implants.  But they do not feel as natural-some patients describe them as being like a water balloon, and they are prone to palpable and visible rippling and wrinkles. A recent survey of 300 patients by Allergan showed that 52% of patients were fearful of silent ruptures, with 45% being concerned that despite the science and FDA saying silicone gel is safe and effective it is still a foreign substance, and 34% of patients having a fear of silicone all together. 

So the Ideal structure saline implant will be a good option for some patients that like the idea of a more natural feel than saline with the advantages of being easier to detect a rupture.  The Ideal implant has two chambers and if one leaks it will lose volume that is harmlessly absorbed by the body.  If I had to predict I would guess that the majority of patients will still use silicone gel implants prioritizing the natural feel, but an increasing number of ideal structured implants will be used in patients that are concerned about silent rupture but didn’t like the feel of the traditional saline implant.

It is a small company, and warranty concerns are valid- but I would be surprised if they are not purchased by one of the larger main implant companies in the future. The 6 year data shows a lower failure rate that the other silicone and saline implants currently on the market, including the highly cohesive “gummy bear” implants. 

Ideal Implant Available in Houston

The Ideal Implant is a new class of implants called Structured Saline Implants.   Compared to traditional saline implants, which have a single layered outer shell, the structured saline ideal implants, have multiple shells or layers providing a more natural structure to the traditional saline implant.

This is a game changer in many ways.    The layered shells eliminate the wrinkling or rippling that is so problematic with traditional saline.   In addition, the implants look and feel the same as a silicone cohesive gel implant that we commonly use today.    I often place both implants under a cloth towel and ask the patients to differentiate the silicone from the structured saline ideal implant.   Unanimously, patients cannot feel or see a difference.   Hence, in clothing, the look and feel of these ideal implants replicates silicone implants, and it does not wrinkle or ripple, as traditional saline implants do.

Lastly, many women will find comfort in not having to worry if their silicone implant is ruptured, or having to spend money every 2 years to obtain an MRI to test their implants.  With saline implants, the deflation is immediate and obvious to the patient, making it easier to address the rupture and lessen patient anxiety.   Plus, the saline fluid that constitutes your implant is the same saline fluid used when a patient gets iv fluids.   Hence, your body absorbs it quickly and immediately.   

All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

The Ideal Breast Implant is Available!

The Ideal Implant, a revolutionary new design in breast implants is now available to the general public.  This implant is a "structured" saline filled implant that combines the positive attributes of both saline and silicone breast implants.  The patient has the piece of mind that it the implant ruptures, since only saline solution will be released into the body and is absorbed with no adverse consequences.  These implants also are "structured", meaning that they have a special reinforced design that prevents the caving and rippling that is sometimes seen with traditional saline breast implants, particularly in extremely lean individuals, or when an excessively large implant is used.  Also, the Ideal Implant has several "baffles" within the implant that prevents the normally  rapid movement of saline from one part of the implant to another, thus giving the Ideal Implant a more viscous feel, similar to a silicone gel implant.  I have been using these implants in my practice for some time now and have been very impressed at how natural these implants are.  In my opinion, they give a more natural result than the highly cohesive silicone implants, which tend to feel firmer than natural breast tissue.

Ideal Implant

The Ideal Implant is available.  The implant is made to feel and look like the silicone alternative but it is saline. 

The Ideal Implant is currently available in Santa Barbara

The Ideal Implant is currently available throughout the United States- my practice provides this type of breast implant to patients in Santa Barbara and the surrounding areas of Central California.  While not all plastic surgeons have access to the Ideal Implant, you can find a surgeon on their website who can provide this new product.  The Ideal Implant does feel much better than saline implants, and ripples much less.  It is a fantastic option for patients who are looking for a natural feeling breast augmentation but don't want the maintenance of getting MRIs to check on their silicone gel implants.

Ideal Implant Now Available

The Ideal Implant, the newest and most unique saline breast implant in decades is now available for use.  This saline implant offers all the advantages of a silicone implant but without the silicone!  This implant has two chambers separated by internal baffles that control the position and movement of saline, so the implant does NOT have the rippling or waviness previously associated with other saline implants, and the "feel" of it is extremely like a silicone implant.  The Ideal Implant has received it's FDA approval and is now available to the public.  For the first six months of it's release, the number of plastic surgeons who have access to it is limited due to manufacturing limits, but I am able to order them for my patients, and I have already used the Ideal Implant for patients with very nice results.

The FDA cleared, IDEAL structured saline breast implant is now available at many board certified plastic surgeons offices throughout the country.  In my practice I have had the opportunity to offer the IDEAL implant to my patients and thus far, have been very satisfied with the results. The IDEAL implant is saline filled, but offers multiple lumens and baffles that make it feel more like a silicone gel implant, without the concern of leakage.  I typically use a transaxillary approach to breast augmentation where there is a small incision made under the armpit and leaves no visible scar on the breast.  We have been able to continue to use the transaxillary approach with the IDEAL implant, which in my practice, is very successfu.  You can go the IDEAL implant website to find out who offers the implant in your area.