When is It Safe to Have a Mammogram Following Augmentation?

I had mastopexy with augmentation in early March. Several weeks prior to surgery i had a mammogram in which i was called back for another mammogram and ultrasound to check an area further. All was okay but they recommended a 6 mo. follow up mammogram. My question is WHEN is it safe to compress the implants ? They're silicone implants if that makes any difference. Thank you SO much for your input.

When is it safe to have a mammogram following augmentation?

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders.  Rupture of implants with mammogram are highly unlikely.  It is usually recommended that you can go forth with mammograms at 3-6 months postoperative.

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, with breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  I typically recommend a preoperative mammogram prior to breast surgery, since the architecture of the breast will change.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.   Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Mammograms generally resumed six months after breast augmentation.

Most of the time patients have had a recent mammogram after an augmentation if it's part of their breast health schedule. In the absence of this I would wait six months before having a mammogram for comfort's sake.

6 months....

I would agree with the 6 month mark....By then, usually all is well, no more swelling and they have settled by then.....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram After Augmentation with Mastopexy

You should be fine to have a mammogram six months after surgery. I do recommend you get your surgeons recommendation too. Good luck!

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Mammogram after breast augmentation

You should be fine to have a mammogram at 6 months post op.  If there is any question ask your plastic surgeon.  

Mammogram OK six months after breast implants

Six months is about right for a mammogram after augmentation or a lift. Keep in mind most implants will not compress and the mammographer will need to do additional views to see around the implant. When following spots in the breast it is often best to sort everything out before an augmentation as the implant or the lift might compress and shift the breast tissue such that the image is different from other studies you had in the past. An MRI is an alternative, quite sensitive though quite expensive. Your best advice might have been to delay your surgery until the studies were all clear, but that is now behind you.

It is important to obtain a post-operative mammogram at 6 months following your breast augmentation. Make sure and let the technician performing the mammogram know that you have breast implants.

Mammogram after breast implants

I usually have patients wait about 6 months before having a repeat or screening mammogram.

Mammogram After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the question. I usually have patients wait 6 months after surgery. It could be done earlier if necessary.

Mammogram after breast surgery

I usually have my patients wait six months after breast surgery to have a new baseline mammogram.  This could be done earlier if necessary.