When Can I Resume Vigorous and Heavy Weight Lifting and Hour Long Cardio Sessions After Rhinoplasty?

I had cosmetic rhinoplasty, both cosmetic and functional my surgery included nasal valve reconstruction, turbinate reduction and Septoplasty last week. I know you can usually resume exercise after a month but with my particular surgery when I can resume INTENSE GYM work outs such as hour long cardio sessions and Heavy weightlifting??

Vigorous and heavy height training after rhinoplasty

It all depends on the extent of the rhinoplasty. What did the surgeon see when he/she was in there? Did they do extensive septum, turbinate, and bone work? Did they do extensive tip work? Best to take the advise of your surgeon's office before starting on an exercise regimen. We usually tell our patients at each visit what their restrictions are. We tell them, (at the appropriate time),to start slowly and then progress from there. Also, don't be frustrated if you lost endurance, or gains in lifting. It will take a while to get back to where you were. Please do talk with your surgeon and get a plan, so together you are on the same page.

Rigurous Exercise After Rhinoplasty

Dear James,

Without physically examining you and knowing what was particularly done during your surgery, it is hard to narrow down the time when you can resume intense weight lifting.

Nonetheless, patients wait about a month to resume intensive athletic training.

The only concern at that time is the possible increased risk of hitting your nose with certain exercises that you may be performing as part of your workout. A nasal trauma will majorly affect your results.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your question.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

We tell our patients two weeks for recovery from Rhinoplasty.  It does take up to six weeks for tissue to be as strong as it was before surgery.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)