When I Can Exercise Again After Vaser from 10 Days Ago? (photo)

Abdominal lower abs love handles

Exercising After Vaser Lipo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

#Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush! Swelling after #Vaser liposuction is not uncommon. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. 

Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

After one to three days, you should be able to return to work. As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

VASER post op

I usually advise my patients to start with walks, after a week  & cardio after 2 weeks following a VASER procedure. Any core exercise, or exercise involving the part treated, involving weights is best avoided for 4 weeks following the procedure.

Surgery and Exercise

Most surgeons would likely recommend no excessive straining for 2 weeks after surgery.  I am not as concerned about swelling as I am with bleeding (hematoma formation).  Straining of any type raises one's blood pressure potentially causing bleeding in a fresh operative region.  So, if surgery is done on the abdomen for instance, straining by performing squats in the gym can have the same effect on bleeding, even though the exercised region is remote from the actual area of surgery. Speak with your surgeon toget clearance to exercise as opinions can vary to some extent.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

VASER Liposelection

Typically, I tell my Cleveland VASER LipoSelection® patients to walk around 3 times a day from the 7th day after their VASER LipoSelection® procedure. From that perspective, it’s a matter of what you call “exercise.” I tell my VASER LipoSelection® patients to refrain from getting their heart rate over 100 for about three weeks. The reason I say this, is it prolongs the swelling.

Along with compliance with garments and exercise restriction, I also recommend several massage therapy sessions 7-10 days after the VASER LipoSelection® procedure.

Depending on your height and weight, patients can also have some VASER Shape treatments to optimize skin tightening within the first three months after surgery. Most of my Cleveland VASER LipoSelection® patients return to work within a day or two after VASER LipoSelection®, depending on how active their job is.

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Return to physical exercises after Vaser

Patients can start physical exercises after about 2 weeks if they feel well. Wearing their compression garment during first week of returning to the GYM is a good idea, although it might be rather uncomfortable. I normally advise to start with weight-bearing ( running, jogging)and stretch types of exercises during first week.

You surgeon should give you his/her recommendation when it is safe to start exercising.

Vaser and exercise

I usually let my liposuction patients return to workouts and aerobices within a week or two as they feel comfortable. It is always best to review with your doctor his preferences.