Having a hard time deciding between mod+ and high profile. (photo)

I'm 5'5" 113lbs 32 A. My preop is Sept 28 when I'm trying sizers again and surgery Oct 20. The first time I went I decided on high profile and was in debate between 350 and 375 it will be under the muscle. But I dont want to look like I have torpedo boobs! Will high profile give me a nice full look or should I go with mod+.

#highprofile #moderateprofile

Assuming that your PS has determined your measurements and is giving you the choice between moderate profile and high profile implants with the same base width (your specific measurements) my experience with profiles is this:a moderate profile will give you about 1 1/2 cups larger breast with a more "natural" look to your upper polea high profile will give you about 2 cups larger breast with a more "implanted" look to your upper poleShow your PS photos of the look you are trying to achieve and he/she should be able to make a recommendation.

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Moderate plus or high profile implants

From your photographs, it appears to me that you have a rather thin frame with a small amount of soft tissue around the breasts. As the profile of implants  gets higher, the transition from the thin skin around the breast to the breast with the breast implant beneath it becomes more abrupt. This will make the  breast appear to be more pasted onto the chest and more harsh in its look. Some would call it "fake looking". Most of the time, a moderate profile plus in your situation will look more natural. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Having a hard time deciding between mod+ and high profile.

Thank you for the question. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “nice full look” or "torpedo boobs" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

How the profile affects your breast shape.

Seems to me according to your numbers that you are petite with small frame. The width of the implants should be according to the width of your chest/breast. You don't want implants too wide that go far lateral or too close together. The nipples should be on the center of your breast, otherwise they seem as if they are "looking" to the side. Several measurements should be made by your plastic surgeon to decide the diameter and projection best for you. 350cc vs 375cc doesn't make that much of a difference, several patients wish they would have chosen the bigger size once they get use to them. Don't worry about torpedo boobs, you have enough tissue to hide them, and placing them under the muscle makes them have a softer contour.

Having a hard time deciding between mod+ and high profile

Dear momma1986In my experience, Moderate plus implants have the best shape and least rippling. They are my default implant unless there is good reason to go to a higher or lower profile. In your case, although you have not shared a profile view, it appears that your breasts naturally have a tear-drop shape and good relative projection in their lower half. This shape does well with M+ implants. You right breast (assuming this is a selfie) points to the side more. With that in mind I would lean towards a M+ and use the width to centralize your nipple location more. This gets complex because it also depends on the quality of the tissue on the side of your breast. If its super thin, you have higher risk of rippling. The best person to help you with decision is your surgeon because he or she has had the opportunity to examine you and give you specific and directed information. Look for an experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery. See more than one consultation and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

High profile vs. Moderate+ Profile

This question can best be answered after obtaining breast measurements such as base width.

You must realize that profile of the implant basically dictates how much the implant sticks out in the forward direction and by how much the overlying breast skin is stretched.

There are low, medium, medium plus, and high profile designs for both round and shaped implants.

When you increase the profile of the implant within an implant of the same volume, you are essentially decreasing the diameter and increasing its outward projection (height) giving it a more ball shape.

• Low profile implants have wider diameter and the lowest projection
  • Moderate profile implants have less projection because of their wider diameter
  • High profile implants are narrower at the base and consequently have more projection

High profile implants do generally provide a fuller look in both the upper and lower pole. This is why breasts would appear to be more rounded and augmented rather than natural. A natural look implies a slope in the upper pole, and a curvature in the lower pole giving the breast distribution ratio of 45:55. Whereas, with high profile implants, you may get a 50:50 ratio. If you want to avoid top heavy look, then go for the moderate plus profile or moderate.

That being said, your chosen profile must be tailored to your breast characteristics and measurements.

If your breast width and frame is small, then a high profile implant will be necessary to provide a better distribution of volume within the breasts. If you have a wider breasts, then you may require low to moderate profiled implants to avoid the “rock in a sock” appearance.

Also note that even if you do get high profile implants, having them placed under the muscle is more beneficial compared to over the muscle placement as the latter comes with increased risk of breast tissue wasting.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Both high profile and moderate profile plus implants can look excellent.  Generally speaking most patients have moderate profile plus breast implants.  You appear to have a thin chest and my suspicion is that your surgeon is considering high-profile to allow for a larger implant to be used based on the base width of your breast.  If this is the case and you need a high profile to accommodate more volume than there is no reason not to go ahead.  In my experience high-profile's look excellent when proper base with measurements are done.  For more on profile please read below: