What is Fraxel Restore?

Can anyone tell me what you can expect from Fraxel Restore?  Results? Recovery?  Am I able to go back to work the next day? WIll it help tighten the jowls and neck area, if so how many treamtments does one need? Thanks.

Fraxel re:store 101

Hi,

Fraxel re:store is a relatively easy procedure to recover from. The treated areas are slightly swollen and pink for one to two days. Many patients are able to return to normal activities and work the following day, but I would give yourself 2 to 3 days (treat on Friday, looking good back at work on Monday). It is very important to avoid sun exposure after the treatment, so wear your sun block.

The expected results should be improved tone, texture, and color of your skin with lightening of brown pigmented spots. There is very minimal skin tightening, although the crow's feet area lateral to the eyes seems to show good improvement. Your overall appearance is fresh, rested, and naturally slightly younger.

Fraxel restore laser treatment requires a series of treatments (from 3 to 5) separated by 2-3 weeks each. It will not tighten the jowls and neck area significantly although an occasional patient does see improvement in this area. It is also good for acne scarring and other scars in general.

Fraxel re:pair is the newest Fraxel laser product that will tighten skin significantly and take years off of your appearance in a single treatment, although there is a short (one week), but significantly longer, social downtime.

Be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Dual is the updated, expanded version of the Fraxel Restore laser

Fraxel Restore is the original Fraxel erbium laser.  Fraxel Dual is the updated Restore and contains both an erbium and a thulium laser.  Both are fractionated which means they treat a fraction of the surface of the skin and leave skip areas in between.  That allows healing to progress more quickly than if the entire surface were treated.  Recovery from a Fraxel Restore (erbium ) or Dual(erbium alone, thulium alone or erbium plus thulium) treatment  generally takes 3 - 5 days.  If the erbium alone is used, the patient experiences redness, swelling and a sandpaper feel to the skin for about 3 days.  If the thulium alone is used, the redness and swelling are a little less and the skin develops a bronze appearance that peels starting on day 2 that generally clears by day 5.  If both are used, the experience combines the two.

Fraxel Dual is a great treatment for photoaging on the face, neck, chest, arms and hands.  It can be used to improve color, texture and even actinic keratoses (precancerous skin lesions).  It also works well for as well as acne scars and stretch marks.  The number of treatments necessary to get the results you want depends on the degree of what needs treatment.  In general scars and stretch marks require more treatments than wrinkles, but deep wrinkles will need multiple treatments.  Tightening of thin skinned areas like the eyelids is seen after even one treatment.  To see tightening of the jowels or neck, expect a series of 3 to 5 treatments.

Generally patients relax with topical anesthetic in the office for 1 - 2 hours, then the procedure takes 15 - 30 minutes.  It will feel like a sunburn.  Treatment with topical ice, keeping well hydrating internally and most importantly externally is key to healing quickly. Makeup can be worn immediately.   Although some patients will return to work the next day, the first two days the swelling is most signficant.  Most patients wait 3 - 4 days to return to work and social responsiblities.  I recommend planning treatment so that you have at least a week until something very important when you must look your best

I hope this answer was helpful.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Fraxel Restore

Fraxel restore uses a patented technology to target damaged skin with microscopic laser columns that penetrate deep into the skin. You can expect smoother, fresher looking skin. Improved tone and texture reduced wrinkles around the eyes. It is also used to improve the appearance of acne and surgical scars. Usually four treatments are the ideal. You will have some swelling but you will be able to go back to work the following day.

Jhonny Salomon, MD