What should I do to my nose? (photos)

Hello, as you can see from the picture, I have a dorsal hump. I also have a deviated septum from an accident that occurred about 8 years ago. The only thing annoying is having the dorsal hump. I'm 16. Is there any treatment that can be done? I also heard of rhinoplasty and that there are 2 types, closed and open. Which one would be better for me although I would go for closed?

Doctor Answers 7

Closed Rhinoplasty

You should wait until you're finished developing, probably closer to eighteen years of age, before you have your nasal surgery.  But when you're ready, a simple closed rhinplasty with lowering of the dorsal hump will give you the profile you want.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Both closed and open rhinoplasty can equally address a deviated septum and reduce a nasal hump

I prefer an endonasal or closed approach for most of my primary rhinoplasties. The incision for an open rhinoplasty is tiny and rarely visible, but if all the incisions are hidden inside the nose, then there is zero chance of it being visible. Closed rhinoplasty isn't performed by many surgeons anymore because it takes more time to master. You should find the best surgeon you can, look at their before and afters and make sure you are compatible. Then you can best plan how to get breathing better and have a better looking nose.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Profile-plasty rhinoplasty and septoplasty

Hi nyjets67,

From the side picture you submitted it seems that a profile reduction would help to improve the appearance of your nose. I can't say without frontal views if any tip work or deviation correction is also needed. Getting your deviated septum fixed at the same time is very common and makes sense. 

Even though you are 16 your nose looks  large enough that growth center disturbance is not a concern. Just don't overdo it because you will grow into your nose over the next few years. Be conservative in the profile reduction. 

All the best. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

What should I do to my nose?

The dorsal hump can be reduced with a closed rhinoplasty.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Rhinoplasty to improve your profile

A dorsal hump can be removed to give you a straighter profile. As for approach: it's typically not the approach that determines your result, but the surgeon's skill and expertise. In my opinion, if you are just seeking to change the hump and don't want any changes to your nasal tip, and endonasal ("closed") approach can be done. The advantage of this technique is that there is no elevation of the nasal tip skin and therefore your healing process is faster than if done with an open technique.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Talk to an experienced plastic surgeon

Yes, things can be done to improve the appearance of your nose, decide what you don't like and then talk to an experienced surgeon. Your surgery would be done by me in a closed fashion to avoid external scars, and you would have a quick recovery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Rhinoplasty Candidate

You got it! I would perform a closed rhinoplasty to lower the dorsal hump. A dorsal hump reduction would also require an infracture of the nasal bones. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.