What Should The Doctor Be Asked About Varicose Veins?

Doctor Answers 3

What should I ask my doctor about varicose veins?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can ask your primary physician to send you for an evaluations for varicose veins if you have symptoms of aching, pain, heaviness, tiredness, fatigue, itching, burning, cramping, throbbing, restless legs or swelling in the legs.

As well, if there is inflammation, redness or pain along cords that one can feel (or palpate) on examination, then this condition is called phlebitis (phleb=veins; itis=inflammation). This requires treatment with antiinflammatory medications such as ibuprofen and motrin, warm compresses and leg elevation.

See Vein Specialist.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a vein problem or think that you may have a vein problem you should see a vein specialist. Common varicose veins symptoms are leg aching, heaviness, cramping, itching, restless legs or tired legs. Common varicose vein signs are tender veins, swelling and inflammation. For the best vein evaluation a venous ultrasound would be helpful.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Varicose veins

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have pain, throbbing, aching, swelling you should see a physician for an evaluation.  Your treatment options can be explained to you once you are seen.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.