I really hate my teeth and never smile in pictures. Would braces be my only option? (Photo)

Is there anything else out there that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get them fixed?

The Best Option.

In your case Invisalign would be by far the best solution.  Today there are all kinds of financing options for this sometimes as little as $99. per month.   Invisalign is faster, more comfortable, and a healthier orthodontic technology than traditional wire and bracket orthodontics.  Although I do not know all the details of your situation,  I would advise that you get an opinion from a General Dentist who has a lot of experience with Invisalign Orthodontic treatment before you proceed.  Crossbites are very much more easily corrected using Invisalign than traditional orthodontics because the aligners eliminate the interferences during movement of the teeth.