Is there any type of waterproof product I can use to protect scars?

I recently had a mastopexy with implants. I have anchor type incisions. I am going on vacation with my family to the beach at about 4 weeks post op. I know I must be careful about submerging in water but I plan on wading in the ocean/ pool with my children. Is there any kind of product I can put over my incisions to protect them from water? Like silicone sheeting or waterproof tape?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Silicone sheets are really good to protect the scars and also after 21days you can use rosehip oil to clarify them. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

4 Weeks Post Op and Going To The Beach

At 4 weeks post op you should be just fine to go into the ocean.  There is no waterproof product to protect you from the water.  See your surgeon before your trip to confirm.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Wants to go in ocean 4 weeks after breast lift plus implants.

Short answer--no, there is nothing that is bacteria-proof or waterproof. Yet, IF your incisions are completely sealed with no scabs, crusts, or incompletely-healed open areas, then being in the ocean should be safe. Without examining your incisions or seeing a photo, only your surgeon can give you the "All clear for ocean exposure."

You are wise to not yet consider swimming, snorkeling, or scuba diving in the ocean because 4 weeks may be a bit premature for vigorous activity that could lead to bleeding, incision breakdown, infection, and/or re-operation.

Again, just to reiterate--there is no waterproof tape or silicone sheeting that will be bacteria-proof. Only durably healing incisions can give you that. Put your mind at ease and see your surgeon and ask this question. A quick exam can provide a safe answer that will minimize risk while still allowing you to enjoy your vacation. Take it easy and enjoy your trip! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon