Would massaging Sculptra make Radiesse vanish?

I just got Sculptra and Dr told me to massage areas especially nsl folds where I had it injected and where Radiesse had previously been injected 6 months ago. Would doing this diminish the Radiesse? I feel like my fold line looks a little deeper now. I'm two weeks post Sculptra injection, do you think this will puff back out again when Sculptra results show in a few more weeks?

Sculptra and Massaging

Massage definitely would not diminish the Radiesse, especially if it were done 6 months ago. I would only ever worry about massage/pressure moving filler around if it were done under a week before. Final results from Sculptra would not be seen for at least a month, however the treatment is most effective when done in a series (typically 3 total). Give it more time and it should improve - if it is not where you'd like it to be after a few more weeks, I would suggest returning to your provider for evaluation and potentially, more Sculptra.

Sculptra and Massaging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Massage the Treatment Area after Sculptra Injection

Hi and thank you for sharing your question here! Sculptra is a stimulating filler and it stimulates the skin cells to gradually make new collagen fibers around the active ingredient of Sculptra. Its mode of action is therefore fundamentally different from most other fillers that work by adding immediate volume. To get the best results, a series of injections 3-6 weeks apart is recommended, and patients typically see optimal results after 3-5 months following the last set of injections, and from there on, the results are typically long-lasting. Massaging after Sculptra the sites of injection following the treatment is highly recommended to prevent the formation of nodules and to help achieving a more uniform results. However, massaging of the area that was treated with Sculptra is not likely to have any effects on the prior Radiesse injections at your nasolabial fold. I hope it helps and good luck!

Sculptra results and post procedure massage

Post procedure massage is routinely recommended after Sculptra injection. Sculptra is a biostimulatory filler which means that it works by stimulating your body to produce its own collagen. You will see the benefits of the increased collagen over the next few months. The post procedure massage should have no effect on your prior Radiesse injection. Give the Sculptra some time to work and I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Massaging Sculptra with Radiesse in same area

Massaging an area after a Sculptra treatment should not make Radiesse diminish that was previously placed into the same area.  It generally takes at least a month to see the effect from a Sculptra treatment, so I would say that at 2 weeks after the injection, the full effect would not be seen yet.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging after Sculptra

I generally recommend that patients gently massage their faces after Sculptra according to the "rule of fives" - 5 times per day, for 5 minutes, for a total of 5 days.  This is to ensure that the collagen-stimulating, poly-L-lactic acid (also known as PLLA) in Sculptra is evenly distributed under your skin.  You do not need vigorously rub or press your skin - gentle massage with a little bit of moisturizer is more than sufficient.  

Gentle massage should have no impact on your Radiesse from 6 months ago.  It will take approximately 6-8 week to see the initial results from your treatment, and up to 4 months for full results.  As the Sculptra stimulates collagen under your skin, you should see additional improvement in your nasolabial folds and other treated areas.  Best of luck!

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging after Sculptra

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging after Sculptra

You should massage after Sculptra for about 5 days. If the Radiesse was there for 6 months, it shouldn't have an effect on it. After about 2 months, you should start to see the benefits of Sculptra and the nlf will improve. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Massaging after Sculptra

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra and Massaging

Thank you for your question. It is routinely recommend to massage the treated area after injection. Sculptra is a filler that works by stimulating your body to produce its own collagen. You will start to see results in the next few months. Massaging the treated area after injection should have no effect on your previous Radiesse injection. Please contact your injector with any concerns you may have. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Sculptra and Massaging

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician