Lip shape for Juvederm or Restylane?

I am have always wanted to get fillers, however I have no idea as to what shape would fit me best or how much of the filler would look best. Are there any procedures done to see exactly what you will look like before getting the fillers done?

Lip shape for Juvederm or Restylane?

Hello Eli8881,

There are some computer software options using your photo to give you an idea of what your lips will look like.  This is not routinely used for lip consultations, but it does exist.  They also are only meant to represent the goal of the treatment, and are not a guaranty of a result.  There are also principles we use to help guide the treatment.  For example, there should be a nice cupid's bow in the middle of the upper lip.  Ideally the lower lip is slightly more full than the upper but the upper sticks out or protrudes slightly more than the bottom.  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist who does his or her own injections.  This will be a time to go over the options for rejuvenating the lips.  You can also learn about the different filler options such as Restylane Silk or Juvederm Ultra XC which are my preference for the lips.  The benefit of using fillers is that if you don't like the treatment, it is fully reversible with the injection of something called hyaluronidase.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip shape for Juvederm or Restylane?

Hi, we have performed many lip augmentations over the past 30 years using dermal fillers (like Restylane, Juvederm) or lip implants (permalip and others).  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, naturally attractive lips do have an ideal shape and proportion between the lips.  When these principles are ignored, the lips can appear top heavy (duck lip) or over filled, which is unattractive in appearance IMHO.  

Having experience injecting lips with a dermal filler simply isn't enough, no matter what the medical specialty of the injector.  What's critical, again IMHO, is a thorough understand of the "beauty" behind what creates naturally, attractive lips.  I often say that "beauty is more than skin deep" so if you are seeking to make any feature of yourself more attractive, seek a medical, beauty expert.

Hope this helps. 

Lip Fillers Long Term, Use Cannulas and a Conservative approach

Shape is dependent on your individual anatomy.  Please see an expert who specializes in facial sculpting.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler and Lips

Greetings!

The best way to determine which filler would be best for you would to be consult with a board certified dermatologist in your area with expertise in lip injections. There are many different approaches to enhancing the lips, but to enhance your natural shape requires an in-depth, personalized consult. There are many great fillers that work in the lips, and a provider with an artistic approach will certainly not have you look overdone! Less is always more in the lips!

Best of luck to you!

David Goldberg, MD

Juvederm or Restylane for lips

It's best to start conservative with one syringe.  Most people in Colorado don't want huge lips or an obvious "done" look.  The goal is to provide a subtle but nice enhancement which makes you feel good about yourself.  With lips, shape is more important than size. I don't inject evenly across the entire lip, which can create an unnatural sausage-like lip.  Rather, I respect the natural shape of the lip and highlight certain areas which are naturally more prominent to give the best results.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Shape of lip with filler

Most of this is predetermined by your own lips. Size can be altered. Uneven lips can also be improved. If there are computer programs to show you "done" lips, they would be inaccurate. Keep in mind that the fillers are temporary and can be reversed. Go to someone that has done your friends and they are happy with their results. It takes someone who knows what a beautiful lip looks like. Both fillers can do a good job with the lips. Juvederm doesn't give as much structural support to the lip as Restylane does. Restylane silk will enhance, but not give as much volume as the other 2. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm or Restylane filler for lips

The shape, amount and type of filler used depends on the individual patient.  Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid fillers that can be used to give a natural appearance.  The most important factor is treatment with a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can assess your lips and discuss what would give you the best result.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lip shape with fillers

Computerized imaging may give you a general idea of the result of enhancing the lip with fillers, but not all plastic surgeons have this technology in their offices. However, the real after results may not always look like the enhanced after images. The good news about fillers and the absorbable ones in particular is that you can evaluate the results as you are being injected. By doing a little at a time and looking in the mirror, you can help in guiding your surgeon on where you would like additional filler or to stop if you feel it looks satisfactory to you. In addition, Juvederrm, Restylane, and other non-permanent fillers can be dissolved with an enzyme if needed.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Lip shape fillers

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation and discussion of results.  Based on the areas of your lip that you would like to see enhanced, an appropriate dermal filler can be used to define or augment the area.  Both Restylane and Juvederm can effectively work in the lips

Lip shape for Juvederm or Restylane?

Dear eli8881,
There is certainly a lot of artistry involved when is comes to filling lips. Your age and current lip shape are the big influences on the outcome. Many times it is clear to patients what is lacking and they come in with some understanding. For example, if an upper lip is much less full than the lower they may recognize the imbalance and are after more harmony. Another patient may have very nice balance, but just feel that more fullness in general may be more attractive. When some women age they loose some of the definition around the lips and filler can help to define the cupids bow, philtral columns, and improve the down turned corners ant the commissures.
We have never used 3D imaging on the lips, but an evaluation and conversation to listen to your concerns and teach you about the aesthetics (sometimes patient's requests don't match our recommendations) is certainly in order before your first treatment. You can also learn how to help avoid bruising (it will likely happen), and ways to cover and resolve it as quickly as possible.
A gradual start makes sense. It is like you have long hair and are interested in going shorter. You likely won't walk out with a pixie cut your first time. You probably shouldn't go extreme on your lips the first round either.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon