I want lip augmentation but also have many concerns.

Hello, I am seeing that a lot of people like Juvederm & Restylane but know these are not permanent meaning I have to probably come in to get them touched up constantly. Would I have to pay the same amount every time I get them touched up? I would prefer something more permanent but I have not seen many positive outcomes. What would be the best option and how to I know to choose the right doctor?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

1cc

Start with 1 cc with juvederm ultra plus.In younger patients this can last 9-12.months. Longer term fillers may eventually lump and would require surgery to remove the filer.Traditonal filers are safer and do not carry this risk.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Choose your surgeon wisely to get the best outcome

If the surgeon uses a 0.4 cc syringe it will cost less than a 1 cc syringe, unless you are going to a place that charges by the procedure, not by the amount of material used, in which case you should go somewhere else.

The first thing you should do is check the ASPS website for a list of doctors in your area. Then look at online reviews. Check the surgeon's website. Look at their results. Ask around to see if you have any personal references, these can be very helpful. Once you have screened the doctor, meet with them. If they are professional and sincere, educated and experienced, if they listen to your concerns and develop a plan which fits with your goals, you have found a good match.

Varys by office

You should start out with maybe 1cc of filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur. These fillers are not permanent, you can do a fat transfer which is like a permanent filler.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip Augmentation

I generally suggest that patients consider a temporary filler for lip augmentation initially to see if they like the new look and to give me an idea of what they want in terms of fuller lips. Fat grafts are a longer lasting means of lip augmentation although it may take more than one session of fat grafting to achieve the desired result. Check out some board certified surgeons for credentials, experience, etc then get more than one opinion before you proceed. Good luck!

Lip Augmentation

Hello, Thank you for your question. Based on your goals, you may want to consider a fat transplantation. Fat transplantation, or fat grafting, involves the removal of a specific amount of fat from your body so it can be re-injected into your face. The donor site is an area that has a readily available supply of subcutaneous fat, such as the abdomen or thighs—areas that you may find look more toned to a certain extent afterwards! This method of facial contouring can resolve such concerns as nasolabial folds (creases extending vertically on either side of the nose to the mouth) and thin or asymmetric lips (lip augmentation). Results are described as “good to excellent”, according to the majority of patients surveyed by surgeons participating in a University of California Los Angeles Medical Centre study.I'd recommend speaking to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine if you're a good candidate for this procedure. Take care. 

Lip Fillers Long Term, Use Cannulas and a Conservative approach

I find fillers work excellent long term, permanent options include implants and fat transfer.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Long lasting filler effects

Lip enhancement with fillers is an excellent procedure to increase the volume and shape the lip contours. It is also true that with repeated injections, the effect of lip fillers can last longer and longer and, in some cases, patients do not treatment for many years as their results last.
Please speak to your doctor about your concerns prior to undergoing any procedure.
Best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

I want lip augmentation but also have any concerns

Thank you for your excellent question.  You are correct in that the use of dermal fillers for lip augmentation is temporary, lasting from 3-6 months in patients.  Depending on price increases by the manufacturers of these products costs will remain fairly consistent with each treatment.  There are some permanent options at lip augmentation, such as fat grafting, and best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for both filler placement and possible discussion of fat grafting if this is a possible interest for you. 

Lip filler questions

I would not recommend any permanent fillers for the lips. There are permanent silastic lip implants that work very nicely but require a small surgical procedure. If that does not interest you, then Juvederm and Restylane tend to be the best injectable options. The results last about 9-12 months.

Seek a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that performs the injections themselves. Especially in the wonderful state of Colorado you have no idea the credentials of anyone else that might be injecting you other than the MD. Review their before and after gallery and make sure that the results are natural. Meet the doc and make sure that you trust them and their judgement. If you can find a physician trainer, like myself, that trains other doctors to perform these injections that should also put you at ease with regard to their experience and expertise.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

I would recommend juvederm for your lips. Because it is not permanent , you can make sure you like the results before you go to something more permanent. Results typically last 9-12 months.  I would see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for optimal results. Best, Anita Arora Gill MD

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon