Coolsculpting: How much will a person in their weight range lose?

I am 45 years old, 5'5, weigh 125, and work out 5 days a week. I also have good laxity for my age. Most of my weight is in my legs and my inner thighs rub together. I went for a consult to see if I was a good candidate and the physicians assistant lead me to think I was. When I was hooked up to the machine, she told me she thought I would lose .25 of an inch. This is different from what I read. If I wasn't right for this procedure, she should have told me. How much do you think I should lose?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Your weight will not change but you will see 20-25% redicurion in the treated area
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting is not for weight loss

You can expect to see a reduction in fullness in the treatment areas, but you may not see much (if any) difference on the scale.  CoolSculpting is a contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Weight loss with CoolSculpting?

CoolSculpting is not intended for weight loss but to rid stubborn fat bulges that are resistant to diet and exercise. CoolSculpting is used to de-bulk and contour areas and usually is not measured by weight. After 1 treatment of CoolSculpting you can expect 20-25% of fat reduction in the area. Depending on your goals, re-treatment can be done after 30 days. Keeping a consistent diet and exercise routine can help maintain these results. When having a consultation, your practitioner should be honest if your expectations are unrealistic. Hope this helps!

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.
Coolsculpting is a non-surgical procedure that has been developed for fat reduction in problem areas. It involves freezing fat cells without damaging your skin. The fat cells are naturally eliminated from your body over the following few months. You will typically notice results 3-4 weeks after the initial treatment. On average, patients see a 25% reduction of fat in the treated area after one visit. Some patients can acheive greater results with additional treatments as early as 4 weeks apart.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

CoolSculpting Results

CoolSculpting results are difficult to predict in terms of inches.  The FDA approval is for a 20-25% fat reduction with each treatment.  In my experience, to predict the number of inches lost is just guessing.  We recommend our patients review our extensive gallery of before and after pictures to best understand the type of results they can expect.  Even if you don't lose the number of inches you anticipated, CoolSculpting is an excellent treatment to target excess fat in the right patient.  Being at a healthy weight and working out increase the odds you are a good candidate and will see great results.  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Weightloss

CoolSculpting is not intended for weightloss but rather to help sculpt the shape of your body by killing excess fat cells in pesky trouble areas. In our experience we have seen patients generally lose 20-25% of fat in a treated area per treatment. We generally treat patients twice. Once, a few days after the initial consultation and then again 30 days after the first treatment. Our average patient sees >40% reduction in the fat layer in the treated areas 2-3 months after the first treatment.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Inches lost after Coolsculpting

A second the post that discusses how we talk about Coolsculpting.  Inches lost is variable.  We usually talk about losing 20-25% of fat in the area treated... that translates into different inches lost for each patient.  If you had pinchable fat and are close to ideal weight, you were probably a good candidate.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting results

CoolSculpting results are not generally measured by inches but rather a percentage of fat reduction.  As a general rule, you can expect to have a 20-25% reduction of fat cells in the treated area with one treatment.  It is recommended that to achieve these results you must maintain a stable weight by eating healthy and exercising appropriately. 

Coolsculpting and Results

Coolsculting has great results, especially for the area of the inner and outer thighs.  In the past there was no effective treatment for this area.  Most patients generally feel that their legs no longer "rub together" after the procedure.  The results generally decrease thea area by 20 to 25% or describe a loss of an inch or more in that area.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolscupting.

Amount of fat loss with Coolsculpting

With one Coolsculpting session, depending on the area and patient, we usually see a loss of 20-25% of fat cells destroyed in the area treated.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon