Will a sill procedure work for wide flared nostrils that are retracted? (photo)

I think I have slight retracted nostrils but not visible if chin down. my issue is with the width as the nostrils seem really wide in comparison to my tip and bridge. I don't like the thought of the graft surgery to correct my alar retraction but I'm ok with visible nostrils as long as they're smaller in size and width. I have pictures of a few angles and I also self generated one with smaller nostrils. Will a sill surgery be the best? what is the procedure like (time,cost)? Thank you!

Nostril surgery

I agree that you don't need cartilage grafts.  Actually you could just undergo alar wedge reduction of your nostrils and get a nice improvement.  Alar wedge resections need to be done artistically, however, by a surgeon who has a lot of experience with them.  Actually if that is all that is done it could be done under local anesthesia.

Reducing Flared Nostrils

An incision in the sills of your flared nostrils can be used to decrease your flared nostrils so the incision is hidden within your nose. Other views would be helpful because patients with your nostril contour frequently also have a wide tip and hanging columella (the strip between your nostrils). Cost would be determined after discussing your options and deciding what you want to change.

Alar flare and wide alar width

Both of these issues can be addressed.  Of course the entire nose should be considered, along with the breathing at the time of consultation so the best aesthetic plan is also the best functional plan.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Will a sill procedure work for wide, flared nostrils that are retracted?

An alar plasty procedure can accomplish narrowing wide nostrils, which involves removal of a small Wedge of skin at the base of the nostrils to narrow them. The procedure can usually be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.

Nostril reduction

Thank you for your photos. It is possible to reduce both the alar flare as well as the overall size of the nostril for a more refined proportion to the rest of your nose. The procedure is usually shorter than other procedures and cost will be determined depending on the type of anesthesia you would need as well as the time needed. Recovery is short and sutures will be removed after a week. It is important to have an in-office examination so your nasal dimensions can be evaluated and measured and photos can be taken at various angles to determine the best incision design to achieve your goals. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Narrowing nostrils with alar retraction.

This can be done to give you the result you want. I would need to see other photos of your profile since you may have a slight hanging columella which can be fixed as well. The cost will vary depending on what needs to be done after seeing you in person.

Ala reduction

Thank you for the question and photos and I would go on complimentary consultations with experts in the area who take your photo digitally and then alter it with your input to show you what can be accomplished and how it might be done..

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

You would be able to achieve your goals with a rhinoplasty procedure. You would need "alar base reduction" to narrow the nostrils. There is no way to avoid an incision where the nostrils meet your face. In individuals that have some pigment in their skin there is increased risk that the scars may darken. However, if placed well these scars hide in the shadow where the nostril meets the face and are therefore minimally visible, if at all. I'm not sure that you have alar retraction, at least not from these pictures. Would need a formal lateral view to evaluate this. As long as you work with a rhinoplasty specialist who has significant experience in the above procedures you will have a very nice result :)

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction

Thanks for your post. A base view and complete examination would be best to evaluate your aesthetic options. Your alar base does appear somewhat wide and you have a nice sill with which to consider an alar base reduction. The exact procedure for alar base would clearly depend on your exam, goals and whether you are planning to decrease the base as part of a rhinoplasty or as an isolated procedure. Please consider submission of an alar base view, or contact our office for additional information so that your question can be more completely discussed. Best Wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon