I want to keep the sensitivity of the nipples. Do you loose that with breast implants?

If you don't loose sensitivity in the nipples which implant is recommended? Also is it better to have implant under the muscle or over? Does it matter if it's silicone or jel?

Sensitivity of nipples

Thank you for your recent question! Unfortunately loss of nipple sensation can be a side effect of breast augmentation.  This happens to less than 1% in my practice in fact patients state the opposite and have more sensation until the nerves heal.  I recommend placing the implant under the muscle to help hide the implant and reduce the appearance of rippling.  Best of luck!

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation

While loss of nipple sensation after breast augmentation is a possibility, it is very uncommon in my experience. Usually it is the opposite...a period of hypersensitivity will exist for awhile after surgery. The type and location of the placement of breast implants has no bearing on the risk of nipple numbness after surgery.

I want to keep the sensitivity of the nipples.

I understand your concern.   There is always a chance, albeit very small, that a woman would lose sensitivity in her nipples after an augmentation.   The type of implant used has no bearing on whether a woman would lose sensation.

Personally, I always place the implants under the muscle.  There is less chance chance of developing a capsular contracture (firm breast) deformity and less chance of rippling.  Mammography is more accurate when the implants are below the muscle as well.

Nipple sensitivity and implants

The majority of patients will have normal sensation after breast implant placement.  But there is small group that may have decreased or no sensation after surgery. This can be difficult to predict.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for question. Although loss of sensation can occur after breast augmentation it is unusual and, when it does happen, tends to be short lasting. The type of implant does not have any difference on this outcome. Although placement of an implant under the muscle is the more common approach in order to decrease visible and palpable irregularities, this can also increase the distance between the breast gap and also result in visible muscle, which is called animation deformity. This can be particularly disturbing to lean and athletic women. Another advantage to the submuscular placement is the decrease in abnormal scar which normally surrounds any implant and it's called capsular contracture

The alternative to this is to place the implant above the muscle but this can result in more visible or palpable irregularities of the implant itself. . In these cases, the use of an anatomical or textured device and also the supplementation with fat transfer can reduce capsular contractors and add volume and also improve fullness.There is a reduction of the breast gap but mammographic surveillance can also be more compromised. In any case, I would recommend a full consultation with a board-certified plastic surgery who is experienced in all types of breast surgery. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Rarely

Less than 3 percent of women will lose sensitivity from breast implant surgery from surveys by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best of luck

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Sensitivity

Loss of nipple sensation can occur after any breast implant surgery- regardless of where incision is placed and type of implant. Fortunately, if it occurs, it is usually temporary. Permanent loss of sensation is rare.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Nipple sensitivity following Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question. Many patients experience some numbness or loss of nipple sensitivity following a breast augmentation, but usually sensation returns after a few months. Placement of the implant and the type of implant used is something to discuss with your PS.
Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

I want to keep the sensitivity of the nipples. Do you lose that with breast implants?

There is a low percentage rate of patients (less than 5%) who lose sensation after breast augmentation surgery. Some patients report numbness for a few months and then their sensation returns. Sometimes loss of sensation is permanent. Results may vary from patient to patient depending on the severity and complexity of your case (the larger the implant and/or the more involved the procedure the greater the risk).
There is also a risk of hyper-sensitivity (usually temporary).

Nipple sensitivity after breast implants

It is rare to have a permanent decrease or loss of nipple sensitivity with breast implant surgery. The best thing for you to do is to have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon to assist you in determining what would be best for you (saline or silicone, above or below the muscle). In general, I prefer to place implants behind the muscle to provide a more natural look. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon