55 years old. haven't been active over 10 years - thick and dark outer vaginal lips - is this normal?

Are Thick, Dark Labia Normal?

Labia vary in color, and it is not unusual for them to be thick and dark. This is very normal. 

Some women who dislike the color, especially if they labia are long, opt for labiaplasty. If the color and thickness bother you, you can click on the link below to find out more about labiaplasty.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Dark labia majora. Normal? Therapeutic options?

Yes, it is "normal!" However, if size or coloration or inner ("minora") or outer ("majora") lips bother you, see an experienced cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon who also is savvy in use of laser resurfacing & have a personal consultation. See weblink below...:)

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Darkening of the labia is normal, but you don't have to live with it

The labia majora can be whitened with a combination of laser resurfacing and bleaching creams. The labia minora cannot be treated this way and must be trimmed.

Most likely YES

Labias come in many sizes and shapes and all are typically normal variations.  Labias also may change in shape and color over time due to many different factors.

If these bother you or you would like to have them modified then I would recommend consulting with an experienced cosmetic surgeon.

Best of luck.

All Normal

Hi Zreal08,
It's hard to say much without a photo or an example of what you are talking about but labia can change over time. As we get older, things start drooping down there naturally, just as other skin on our body does. Being a Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon and Gynecologist, I have seen thousands of labia. Know that all labia sizes and shapes are normal. If you want to change the way you look down there, there are options for that as well. I hope this helps.
Dr. Jennifer S. Hayes, DO, FACOOG
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Without photos, it is difficult to accurately address your areas of concern. With that said, in general, labia can change with time. Vaginal changes with aging are normal and every woman will experience some changes to some degree.  Your abstinence from sexual activity is not the cause of these changes. If your labia are a concern for you, I would recommend evaluation by a board certified surgeon who specialize in labia minora and labia majora procedures to determine which options are available and could best address your concerns. 

Thank you for sharing your question. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, with some women having, or developing, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. If your current appearance gives you pause, seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam and may be able to discuss treatment options with you.  Hope this helps.