Follow-Up Question: Aggressive Lipo? I forgot in my last post to describe what I had done. 4 weeks Post-Op. (photos)

The lipo was done in my entire abdomen (top to pubic area), sides, upper back fat, arms from breast area to elbow. And face. My smile crooked - abdomen tight and bandy (painful), arms a mess with tendon sticking out, so painful to move them, face swollen more than when I even got a face lift. And my belly button is now gone. I am so upset. Feel like I was overly done. Surgery Time: 8 hours - Fat removed: 8 Liters

Chances are your surgeon was not a board-certified plastic surgeon, because this is not the type of treatment that an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon would provide.  However, you need to give yourself more time for complete healing, especially regarding your smile.

Large volume liposuction - problematic results

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I am so very sorry you find yourself in this situation.
  • Was your surgeon a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?
    Was laser or other hot liposuction used?
  • Your belly button is  different because all the fat around it has been removed.
  • Of concern is the crooked smile - suggesting the liposuction irritated or damaged the marginal mandibular nerve. If standard liposuction was used, it is very likely to recover. This complication is a known risk but is not common. 
  • Your arm looks very aggressively treated - 
  • Eight hours of liposuction removing 8 liters of fat sounds very aggressive as well.
  • I truly think you need to get a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as to what to do next - including steroid injections, massage and any additional treatment - and to direct your recovery.
  • You will have to wait a long time for the final result to appear - and may need additonal treatment once the outcome is visible.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling, Nerve Issues -- Massage, Exilis Ultra or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

I suggest speaking to your physician or seeing an expert.Post operatively on your body you need:lymphatic massage, hyperbaric oxygen, radiofrequency treatments like exilis ultra or venus legacy

post operatively on your face you should:start steroids, consider diuretics and evaluation by a physician that specializes in nerve injury.  typically these resolve in 6-12 weeks without complications.
Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction Complications

Hello,Assuming some energy based liposuction (laser/Vaser) or sharp tipped canula wasn't used, your marginal mandibular nerve injury will recover and your smile will correct. You have swelling and extra skin, both conspire to deform your belly button. Scar bands in your arm need massage therapy and time to relax and soften. Occasionally deeply placed Kenelog injections can break up these scar bands too, however that really requires an expert who has done this many times before. Given the extent of your surgery, I would wait at least 6 to 9 months before being assessed. If you have any persistent issues and your doctor isn't a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon, you should go visit a few for a second opinion.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Lipo problems

Over suctioning can lead to disastrous outcomes. The length of time under anesthesia seemed excessive as well. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon near you for second opinion. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS