If I am looking to get a breast reduction, how many sizes can I go down?

I only have a C-cup but it is disproportional to the rest of my smaller body. Is it possible to one of two cup sizes?

Sizing after breast reduction

It is difficult to know what size bra you will be after breast reduction surgery as bra size is different between brands of bras.It is better to think about a size range that you would like to be after surgery- think in terms of B-C, or C-D.I usually have my patients think about the size range that they would like to be, and then ask if they would rather be on the smaller or larger size within that range.Occasionally, patients find it helpful to buy a bra in their desired post-operative size to demonstrate their goal size.

Sherman Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Size Decreases with Breast Reduction

Large breasts (#macromastia) or #breast hypertrophy can occur in a variety of conditions (family trait, post pregnancy, excessive adolescent growth). In general when the excessive #breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for the operation if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual i company requirements. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Other problems which are less likely to be covered by insurance include skin irritation, skeletal deformity, breathing problems, psychological/emotional problems, and interference with normal daily activities. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. Each insurance policy has different guidelines and exclusions.

Breast reduction

I think that you would have to be seen in person to determine what would be appropriate for you.  It is usually possible to go down a cup or more depending upon where you start.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
Send your photos to give you the appropriate advices.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Looking to get a breast reduction, how many sizes can I go down?

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully. You will find, that there is no "ideal size"; ultimately, what you consider aesthetically pleasing should be heavily considered well planning the operation. In my practice, I ask patients to use as many visual aids as possible during the communication process. Avoiding terms such as "proportionate", "ideal", or referencing cup sizes is important in my opinion.
I hope this, and the attached link/video helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  With a breast reduction, you can decide on the extent of your reduction based on your preference.  It's hard to go by cup size - it would be better if you give wish photos to your surgeon of what you would want your breasts to look like.  It's important to have a clear and open communication with your surgeon regarding your goals and expectations.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction amount

The amount of breast reduction tissue removed is determined by how much tissue you have to begin with and how much tissue you would like to have removed. In addition we want to keep your breasts proportional to your body. The best way to to understand your options is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!!

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

How much smaller

To calculate how much smaller you will be following breast reduction, you need to provide us your height and weight; these are used to determine the minimum amount of breast tissue that will be needed to be removed to get medical coverage.

Arian Mowlavi, MD