Should the doctor charge me for revision surgery for my implant that never dropped? I had a reduction, lift and implant

When I flex my implant sticks out and is very unattractive. Do I research other dr's to get their opinion or try to get my Dr to revise without charging his fee? He is charging me for his fee and the hospital, etc. Should I have to pay the surgeon's fee since the implant didn't drop properly? Thank you

Speak to your plastic surgeon

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should go see your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.
Best to speak to your surgeon about this and find out what is their policy.  Every office is different.  I am sure your surgeon wants you to be happy.  So discuss your options with him/her.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Should A Doctor Charge A Patient, if they are Unhappy?

Unless you are unhappy with your surgeon for some reason, you should talk with him or his staff about your concerns. Most doctors, and all good doctors, want happy patients with great results. That doesn’t mean doctors are willing to perform multiple surgeries for free to achieve that, but it does mean that they’re usually interested in working with you to find a middle ground where you are happy and they feel fairly compensated for their time, skill and effort. When you talk with your surgeon keep in mind that it’s impossible to guarantee a result or outcome – people and bodies are all different and thus every surgery and every result is unique. You probably looked at his Before & After photos prior to scheduling your surgery and he probably had great photos. But sometimes things don’t go as perfectly as anyone would wish. The human body is so different between patients. It’s unlikely you can undergo another surgery and have no cost, but he does have some flexibility in the total cost. So talk to him and start with the assumption that you both have the same goal – that of you looking fantastic and feeling happy about your choice and procedure.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Revision charges

Revisions are a tricky situation. I believe the expected economic consequences of revision fees should be delineated prior to surgery at consultation. That way there are no surprises. Each physician has their own policies about this. It is reasonable to have the patient pay the facility and anesthesia fees and waive the professional fee in this situation. That's our office policy. Check with your plastic surgeon. Good luck with the touch up.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

There is no correct answer to this as each surgeon has their own policy on these issue. Try having a conversion with your surgeon about this and explain your position. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS