Puckering and hyperpigmentation around Areolas. (photos)

I am 11 weeks post Periareola lift and have just been to see my PS who recommended massage . I have some puckering around the Areolas and also scar tissue underneath that I can feel , he recommends aggressive massage to break up the scar tissue that's formed . I am using bio oil when I massage as its too sore to do without it and using silicone sheets after the massage . What else can I do though to help with the hyperpigmentation around the Areolas which I really dislike ?

Hyper-pigmentation and Puckering of Areolae

Depending on your procedure, especially the Periareola Lift, there is the potential to affect your areolae during the healing process. Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. 

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If you are worried that your incisions or scars are not healing well, then it is a good idea to visit your surgeon for an examination of the area to determine how well the healing process is going.