I'm booked into get my breast augmentation in 5 weeks. What are some of the best things to help with recovery?
Doctor Answers 2
Some steps and arrangements to make recovery easier
- Firstly, if you smoke, then please stop smoking – 1 month before surgery. Smoking a cigarette within the month of the surgery can double your risk of infection. Smoking will also cause delayed wound healing, so it is important to cease smoking for 1 month after surgery as well.
- If you have children, then have someone ready to take care of them for at least a week.
- If you have a dog, have someone to walk the dog at least for 2 weeks.
- Please arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and accompany you for 24 hours right after surgery – most patients bring ask a friend to help.
- You do not want to have a lot of work waiting for you after surgery, so do them before
- Cook extra food ahead of time, or you can simply order food if you are not recovering at home
- You may start a healthier diet and engage in physical exercise, and avoid alcohol few days prior to surgery.
- Make sure to inform your surgeon of all your medications – natural and pharmaceutical
- You may have to stop some medications like aspirin and ibuprofen as then can increase bleeding.
- Bring loose-fitting clothes that open in the front and comfortable flat shoes that slip on – you will need such clothes while you recover for the 1st week.
Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.