I was wondering if I have tuburous breast disorder? I'm 6 months pregnant and worried I won't be able to breast feed (Photos)

My left breast is smaller than my right breast and my nipples are very big, they cover the entire ends of my breasts, I have no fat underneath my breasts either the skin just folds over and sags, both breasts are positioned away from each other, no bras fit me because of their shapes, I'm hoping engorgement from breast feeding (if I can even breast feed) will help fill them out properly, I feel terrible about myself and will not allow my partner to be in the same room while I'm changing .

I was wondering if I have tuburous breast disorder?

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I think your breast photos do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short. Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. The areola do demonstrate some features associated with tubular breast such as an increased width and “puffiness”.

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.  Ideally, this operation will be done once you have completed pregnancies.

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery. There are a lot of factors to consider when making recommendations; for example your life circumstances ( planned pregnancies, psychosocial situation…) and tolerance for scars are factors that should be taken into consideration by you and your plastic surgeon.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Tuburous breast disorder

Mother2Be,

First - congratulations!  expecting a baby is such a wonderful thing.  I hope you are feeling well and enjoying it!  Second - I am sad that you feel like you cannot undress in front of your partner.  You won't be able to do anything to correct your breast appearance while you are pregnant or breast feeding, but afterward I recommend you explore your options.  

Tuberous breast or constricted breast is the condition where the breast skin doesn't expand as the gland grows - so instead of growing in a mound as is typical, that growing breast tissue is forced out away from the chest down a narrow "tube" of skin.  The nipples in this situation are always large because the skin of the nipple is thinner and more elastic than the thicker breast skin, so it will stretch to accommodate the growing gland.  

The skin will stretch somewhat when your breasts become engorged with milk (if they become engorged - everyone is different), and it may help the gland assume a less tubular position.  It's hard to predict.

If not, the fix is relatively simple - a procedure much like a breast lift where the skin is released, the gland is rearranged, and the nipple/areola is made smaller and placed on the center of the mound.  In the US however it is usually considered cosmetic and requires an out of pocket payment.  

Good luck with your pregnancy and delivery and when the time is right, if you are still unhappy, go see a plastic surgeon!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts?

Thank you for your question. Based on the photos you have provided it does appear that you have tuberous breasts. With that it should not interfere with you being able to breast feed. For tuberous breast treatment options consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes throughout your pregnancy.

Tuberous breasts and breast feeding

Yes you do have tuberous breasts. This, in and of itself, should not keep you from being able to breast feed. As you may know many women without tuberous breast are unable to breast feed so it is not possible to say if you will be albe to or not. There are options for correction once you have finished breast feeding. If you are planning on having more children I would wait until after you have finished growing your family before you have anything done. Best of luck with your pregnancy.

Charles T. Slack, MD
Mckinney Plastic Surgeon

Do I have Tuberous Breasts?

Thanks for posting your concerns and photos. It does appear that you have tuberous breasts in the photos. The good news is it does not tend to limit breast feeding. You can always consult with a local plastic surgeon about options for the treatment of tuberous breasts 3 months after you are fully dried and done with breastfeeding. Best wishes on the rest of your pregnancy! Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tuberous breasts

From your photos, you have characteristics of tuberous breasts.  This in and of it self does not influence your ability to breast feed.  Successful breast feeding depending on a number of factors, such as hormone production, milk production, and the babies ability to take the milk.  You are a candidate for mastopexies (breast lifts), but this procedure will most definitely affect you ability to breast feed in the future.  Thus, you may want to wait until your done having children.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon