I had a full tummy tuck 2 and a half weeks ago. I felt a popping in my scar after sneezing. Should I be concerned?

Today I sneezed twice and twice I felt a popping feeling in my scar should I be concerned?

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Issues with Scar 2 Weeks Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The scars may not be settling, but if you are uncomfortable or worried at all about their ability to stay closed then you should visit your surgeon right away to have the area checked. Good luck.

I felt a popping in my scar after sneezing.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, is really important to keep a good communication with your plastic surgeon, he knows what is better for you. I recommend to talk with him about your concerns. 

Good luck 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations without a complete history and examination.  I would recommend you discuss this with your surgeon.  In the absence of any pain or deformity at the site it may not be of any significance.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon