I'm 47 years old. I had a labiaplasty 4 years ago. Have I healed in an acceptable way? (Photo)

Do you believe I have healed in an acceptable way? Are my scars obvious? Is a revision necessary? Will any future sexual partner think that my labia look strange and unattractive?

Acceptable after labiaplasty?

Believe it or not hat which is "Acceptable" in labiaplasty surgery is relative. Did you look at images of your surgeon's "Before and Afters" before your surgery? Did they look like this? Some surgeons do them this way on purpose. That is why looking at that image book is so important before having your surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

I'm 47 years old. I had a labiaplasty 4 years ago. Have I healed in an acceptable way?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  The results of any aesthetic procedure are in the eyes of the beholder and if you are pleased with yours then there is no need for additional surgery.  Because of the variety of "normal" in a woman's appearance future sexual partners will not consider your labia to look strange or unattractive.  If there is a particular aspect of your results that is concerning then see a labiaplasty specialist to assess the possibility of revision.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  If you came to me for a consultation I would suggest a revision.  good news is that your previous surgeon left plenty of labia minora to work with.  This shouldn't be a difficult revision but even so please be sure to seek out the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon  who specializes in Labiaplasty procedures.  This is very important.

Have I healed in an acceptable way from labiaplasty 4 years ago?

Dear Rabbits 11,

Yes, you have healed in an acceptable way and your scars would only be obvious to a surgeon looking for them.  If you are happy and have no issues then nothing else is needed.  No partner will know you had anything done and most are just happy to be inside.

In terms of surgical technique, all labia have some degree of texture to them but you do have mild scalloping of the edges (the little bumps) from the use of sutures too tight and too close together.  If that bothers you, an edge revision can be performed.  In my professional opinion, I would leave your labia alone and enjoy your body or what it is.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Healed

It appears you had a trim or linear excision labiaplasty performed. It is quite common to end up with scalloped edges such as you have. These are difficult to correct but this can be done if you want to spend the money. These are some of the reasons why I prefer my posterior wedge labiaplasty procedure: there are no scalloped edges. See link below for more info.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Have I healed in an acceptable way?

Thank you for sharing. 

Based on the pictures you submitted and brief description.  Your labias appear symmetrical and have healed well.  You do have some scalloping which happens with a trim procedure at times, however, if you're  happy with them or they are not causing you discomfort then I would leave them alone.   Although to us and you, we do notice the scalloping of the sutures, to most guys this will appear completely normal.  Therefore, I would caution in regards to a revision unless you are unhappy.  Revisions have their own issues and can sometimes lead to worse result and more scarring.

Terrible labiaplasty result can be revised

Thank you for your post with photos. I'm sorry about your poor results. You can certainly have a revision and still have beautiful results. You're a great candidate for this. Be sure, though, to look for a surgeon with expertise in revision Labiaplasty.

See link below for information on finding that best surgeon for you.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labia reconstruction

I reviewed your photos. You had a trimming labiaplasty with the scalloping and ridges somewhat common with that technique. You can have significant improvement in your appearance. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about four years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  I would probably do multiple small wedge excisions to remove a large amount of your scalloping. As the inventor of the central wedge labiaplasty, I reconstruct many women with both trimming and wedge labiaplasties. I would also do a perineoplasty to close the bottom of your vagina and to eliminate that protruding tissue. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Based on your photo, it does appear that you have some scarring related to the sutures placed at the time of surgery. With that said, the labia themselves appear symmetric and well healed.  If you are concerned with the current appearance of the labia then I would recommend follow up with a surgeon to discuss your revision options. Every woman's anatomy is different and as a result there will be deviations in the way they appear even after labiaplasty. From a healing standpoint, everything appears normal, aesthetically, I would say the choice is up to you if you are unhappy with the visual appearance.

Why do some linear/trim labiaplasties end up looking "grooved?!"

Most importantly- NO- the vast majority of men will not think your lips either "strange" or "unattractive." We guys are happy to just BE THERE and love our partners for whom they are, and if it is "attached" to you it is fine with us... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Only if it BOTHERS you personally should you seek revision, in my opinion...

That said, I will comment on the reason for the "grooved" appearance, how it happened (to you, and many others who post on this site...), and how to "fix" it if you wish. The "grooved appearance happens for one reason only: your surgeon used too large caliber suture, used delayed-absorbable on the skin, & made the sutures too tight. Many surgeons use 3-0 or 4-0 Vicryl on the skin, sometimes in a "running" stitch (which gets it tighter and results in grooves.) If you look at the linear-tpye procedures on the weblink attached here, you will see no "grooving." This is because personally I always use 5-0 Vicryl Rapide sutures, narrow-caliber stitcheds that dissilve quickly (2 weeks) and leave no grooves, whether individual interrupted or continuous sub-cuticular (just under the skin, "knitting" the surface together.)

If you seek revision, make sure you visit a well-experienced gyn plastic/cosmetic surgaon, even if it means travelling ... I agree with Dr. Pelosi's assesment: A mindful "surface skimming" repair, adding a minor perineoplasty to obviate an "open" appearance, using a very superficial sub-cuticular closure would help to "smoothe" the surface. A radiofrequency "air-brushing" would also do the job, but thew recovery is brutal..

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA