New bruising or hematoma? Day 6 (Photo)

I'm day 6 post op BA. The right boob has been slightly higher&tighter feeling. I've had some mild bruising on both sides, saw the dr yesterday at post op follow up,he said all looked ok,gave me a velcro strap&i massaged this am in shower, pushing boobs together& then pushing on the upper part 10x. I noticed tonight that there's a little more darker bruising&there's now a bruise below the right breast next to the incision site. Could this be from the exercises,strap pressure Or is it a hematoma?

Hello dear! Thank you for the question and provided ingormation and pictures as well. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, bruising, and swelling during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Good luck :)

? Hematoma after BBA

Based on the photos provided, it doesn't appear that you have a hematoma rather just some normal postop bruising. This should subside over the next 2-3 weeks. As long as your breasts appear symmetric and not tense/painful, I think you are fine. If you need reassurance then call your PS to have him/her see you and give you more info. Good luck with the healing process!!

Early postop

If you have had reassurance from your PS yesterday and he has reassured you then it would be unlikely you have a haematoma. The bruising looks normal but your PS should see you again if there has been a change.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Breast Augmentation

Dear acampnurse, 

It does not appear that you have a hematoma, just normal post operative bruising. However, it is always better to be examined by your operating surgeon to confirm that it is not an issue. Good luck!

Bruising 6 days post op

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still in the infancy of your recovery. It is not uncommon to see bruising and swelling of this kind during your time of recovery.

Best regards 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

New bruising or hematoma?

you for the question and your photos. It would be
difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. Hematomas typically result in a significant difference in breast size that is easily noticeable. Some bruising is normal but if the bruising gets significant and your pain progressively worsens you need to contact your board-certified plastic surgeon, express your concern and
have a full evaluation. Best of luck.
Dr. Michael Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Some bruising is normal, how much is a sign of a hematoma is hard to quantify without an exam. Usually the breast gets larger compared to the opposite side. Your doctor saw you and he is in the best position to evaluate you for a hematoma.

New Bruising or Hematoma

Difficult to tell from the photographs if you have a hematoma.  hematomas typically result is a significant difference in breast size that is easily noticeable.  Blood does track downward in the breast and so if bruising develops it is usually at the incision site.  I would recommend you contact your plastic surgeons office. 

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some ad

Thanks for the question.
Too early to talk about results and its normal to have bruisings. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
I recommend you to maintain contact with your plastic surgeon. 
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bruise vs hematoma

Hi, acampnurse, sorry to hear that you have these concerns.  The appearance of a bruise 1 day after breast massage is not particularly concerning for a hematoma, as it usually takes a few days for a bruise to develop. It is not one of the early signs of a hematoma.  A hematoma usually presents with progressive pain, firmness, and enlargement of the breast, and the problem is usually unilateral.  If you have concerns, you should discuss with your operative surgeon and be evaluated just for reassurance.  If there is any question about a hematoma in the implant pocket, a simple ultrasound could be entertained.  Hope this is helpful and hope your recovery gets easier!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon