Should I be concerned about getting Vitrase to remove Juvederm?

As you can see in previous posts and pictures, I had juvederm placed under my eyes, NOT in the rear trough area, but the Malar grooves on my upper cheeks. However, the filler did not fill or even disguise the little lines I wanted to correct. Now, I want to dissolve it but I have heard this can dissolve my own natural fat. I'm worried I'm looking to create more problems... I did bruise and im not now, but I'm worried about injection again in an area I bruised in already- make worse. Concerned.

Vitrase to Remove Filler

The majority of fillers used in the face are hyaluronic acid based. these include Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, Perlane, Belotero and others. Most often the fillers do an excellent job. On occasion either the filler is placed in a slightly uneven fashion or the patient simply does not like the effect. An enzyme called hyaluronidase (brand name Vitrase) may then be used to dissolve the filler. this is one of the very good reasons to use this type of filler. The enzyme will dissolve the filler but not effect the surrounding tissues or fat. The dissolvig agent will remove all of the filler in the area where it is placed and you can not expect that any filler will remain or that it can just take out a small amount. As with any injection you may get some bruising. The filler is usually gone within a few days. This ability to dissolve the hyaluronic acid fillers makes them very safe.

Vitrase for Juvederm

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  Vitrase will dissolve the Juvederm without affecting your fat (or hyaluronic acid in your tissues).

You can have the injection without worry.  Anytime you have an injection, there is the risk of a brusie.  This has little to do with the technique.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Fillers

I do not usually use juvederm for fine lines and wrinkles. They are more for volume enhancement. Vitrase can be used to dissolve the product

Thank you for your question and I am sorry your filler results were not what you anticipated.  Because Juvederm is hyaluronic acid, Vitrase will successfully dissolve the remaining filler and not your own natural tissues.  Because of the cross linking in Juvederm it may take a couple of sessions of Vitrase to completely get rid of the juvederm, however.  

Vitrase

We don't think that the Vitrase dissolves your natural HA, and it certainly doesn't dissolve your fat.  So you should feel safe removing the filler.  Any time we put a needle into the skin you can get a bruise.  It does not indicate bad technique.  So you may get a bruise again from the Vitrase.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm under the eyes and dissolving with Vitrase NYC

Juvederm since it is a hyaluronic acid can be dissolved with Vitrase.  The key is to go slow and know the proper amount to use.  In the future consider Belotero for the delicate area under the eye.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Vitrase to remove Juvederm

Unfortunately, there are so many practitioners using fillers under the eyes when they have no idea what they are doing, and we see a lot of misplaced and unnecessary fillers making matters worse in that area and not better.  Good news, if the filler was made of hyaluronic acid, such as Juvederm or Restylane, or Belotero, it is easily removed with hyaluronidase enzyme injection, and it can be life changing for many patients to get rid of the blue/green/hyperpigmented bags that the filler created.  The practitioner must be well versed in the use of hylauronidase.  Consulting a great experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon is best. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon