Is 4 week post op Tummy tuck appointment normally last appointment?

I went to my 4 week post op tummy tuck appointment yesterday. The doctor told me that that would be my last post op appointment. Is that the norm?

More post op appointments may be needed.

Thank you for your enquiry following your surgeon suggesting that you did not require any further review after four weeks post-operatively.

I find this a little bit unusual in that I usually have patients wearing a support garment for at least two months and I like to keep an eye on them as they gradually increase their activity back to full mobility.  I do recommend that they not undertake strenuous exercise until least four to six weeks post-operatively.

I would check with your plastic surgeon that the instruction which you received was correct.  I feel you have every right to request a review appointment at two and six months post-operatively.

Thank you for your enquiry

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Different surgeons have different post-op care follow-ups. In my office we usually see the pt at 1 and 2 weeks and then 6 weeks, 6 months and 1 year post surgery assuming a normal healing process. I'm sure that if you have concerns after 4 weeks you can call your doctor for follow-up.

George Lefkovits, MD

4 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (4 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post Op Appointments

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred, post op protocols. I will typically see my patients at 1-2 weeks, 2 months and 6 months or additionall appointments as needed. Sometimes when patients live far away from where I am located we will alter or reduce that schedule. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to accommodate additional appointments for you if you have questions and concerns- they should be addressed in person with your operating surgeon.

All the best