4 weeks post lipo, hard and more swollen. Lower abdomen protruding (Photo)

My doctor keeps saying its normal but I'm feeling uncomfortable. 4 weeks post lipo Lower ab still very hard and protruding. Flanks also hard with ripples and creases. I massage daily but still hard.

4 Weeks Post Lipo-Hard and Swollen

Hi Genevieve85,
Thank you for your question and photos.

Being swollen and hard post liposuction surgery is normal, but from your photos it appears to be extreme.

Protrusions, ripples, and creases are to be questioned. I would speak with your surgeon or get a second opinion from an experienced board certified liposuction surgeon regarding above and your discomfort. All the best with your recovery.

San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction - stomach protruding at 4 weeks

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • The swelling after liposuction is quite frustrating because it takes time to subside.
  • The amount of swelling you have is striking however -
  • If your doctor is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon,n recently examined you and is sure you are healing fine, you should be fine.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swollen and hard after liposuction

Your photo does show swelling and irregularities in contour after your abdominal liposuction. You did not say what kind of liposuction you had ( vaser, Pal, smartlipo) . At this point the best way to reduce this is with the proper compression garments and lymphatic massages. In my office, we provide our patients with a list of recommended therapist and garment providers. Look for massage therapists that work with post liposuction patients. we can give you our list but we are in New Jersey. good look.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Lipo at four weeks out

At four weeks out from lipo, it is common to be swollen and also very firm in the regions being treated.