Bone grafting after molar extraction; options?

I am having root canal in lower teeth 30 and 31. Its having infection underneath. I took opinion from two doctor who suggested me to go for re root canal or extraction and implant. Right now I am looking to get this teeth extracted. Doctor has suggested me to bone graft after teeth extraction. So my question is: 1) Is bone graft is required for molar teeth If I need to do implant in future? 2) Can I do bone graft afterwards before implant or that need to be done at the time of extraction only?

Bone grafting and implants

The decision about when, if at all, you need to get the bone grafting done should be determined by your dentist. It depends on the amount of available bone at the time of the extraction. Bone grafting helps replace missing bone, so a properly sized implant is placed.
Many dentists prefer to perform a procedure called “socket preservation,” which is a procedure to reduce bone loss after tooth extraction to preserve the dental alveolus (tooth socket) in the alveolar bone.

New York Dentist

Bone graft

bone graft helps to maintain bone height and width . so it is advisable to go for bone graft during extraction. ans 1. bone graft is not necessary but it will help to maintain bone quantity. 2. later, if bone quantity is not proper [ height and width] for implant than u have to go for additional surgery. so best option is to go for bone grafting at the time of extraction.

Nirav Patel, MDS, PhD
India Dentist

Bone graft

It is best to graft immediately after extracting the tooth. This way the bone heals and when the implant is placed, it is surrounded by new bone.  Otherwise the bone may shrink & to get that back is more difficult & results would be less ideal.

Victor Sanz, DDS
Chicago Dentist