Does the Voluma in my eye area need to be dissolved before I have a bleph? (Photo)

The injecter put Voluma in my tear trough and used his thumb to spread it across the under eye area. Is it possible that I have Voluma in the upper lid as well?

Voluma & Blepharoplasty

If you are only having your upper lids done, I wouldn't worry about the Voluma under your eyes. However, if you are also having your lower lids done then yes, you will probably want to dissolve the Voluma. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows your case best. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Eyes

If you are having an upper blepharoplasty and you had Voluma placed there then I would have it dissolved.  If there is no Voluma there then it shouldn't matter but I would definitely consult your treating surgeon.  Best, Dr. Green

Does the Voluma in my eye area need to be dissolved before I have a bleph?

Thank you of sharing your question and photographs.  If Voluma was placed into your tear troughs and you are having your upper eyelids lifted then there is no reason to have it dissolved in anticipation of surgery. If however you are having both upper and lower eyelids performed I would recommend dissolving the Voluma in order to have a more predictable, long-term surgical result.  Hope this helps.

Blepharoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the eyelids. This may include several techniques including removing skin, muscle, or fat.

Fillers are being used more and more. As both an injector and a surgeon, I have encountered fillers during surgery. Two things to consider is where and when the filler was injected. If the filler is not in the same location as the surgery or if the filler has dissolved overtime, it will not affect the surgery. I would recommend getting your records from the injection and sharing them with your surgeon. To be very conservative, consider waiting the 18-24 months for the filler to go away on its own before proceeding with surgery. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Voluma in the upper eyelid is less effective than it is for filling in the tear trough. It would be best to see if you are a better candidate for surgery in order to improve your upper eyelids. Best wishes Theodore T Nyame MD 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Seems like swelling

The upper eyelid swelling seems to be some lymph drainage that has collected there after the voluma injections.

Pressure to this area with your finger or a Q tip will help improve the swelling.

Rejuvenation for the Eyes With Voluma / Blepharoplasty

The answer is no, although I have many times injected hyaluronidase into the tear trough a few days to a week before the lower eyelid surgery to ensure I know the anatomy and see the fat pads better prior to treatment.  It is not necessary however. I do recommend RF treatments and/or nonablative lasers after bleph in order to substantially help with tightening and textural improvements. Best, Dr. Emer.