Had full facelift w/ upper bleph 4 weeks ago. Was pleased at first, now have a chin that's as saggy as it was before? (Photos)

My PS advised me to wear the compression band for a solid week and see him again in two. He inserted a needle into the area 2 times, but there was no fluid present. He said that even if I didn't get the chin I wanted its 1000 times better than it was. I didn't pay him $15,000 to still have this sagginess! How soon can this be fixed? I do NOT want this fat chin! I am very depressed about the whole situation.

Facelift Results

Four weeks post op is too soon to judge your final results. Your swelling hasn't yet subsided so, for now, I would advise you to be patient. If, however, at the 6 month mark, you are still unhappy with your chin area then discuss revision options with your surgeon. He doesn't want you to be unhappy with your results either. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. One goal for a facelift/necklift is a tight submental area with no skin laxity.  At four weeks post-op, you can certainly still have swelling.  However, your pictures do demonstrate excess laxity.  The first step is definitely to return to your surgeon and share your concerns.  I hope this can help you.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Swollen neck and disappointed after face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• If things looked good at first, they should turn out fine.
  • You certainly are very swollen - and it will definitely improve.
  • I had one patient with a similar problem from an allergic reaction to a drain - it subsided but I did an office touch up successfully after six months with a nice result.
  • So avoid anything that might be contributing to this reaction.
  • Without before photos, one can't comment on what your surgeon is telling you.
  • My patients have successfully reduced their swelling using small hand held massagers that they buy over the internet for about $30 or less. Ask your surgeon if you can try this.
  • Wear the compression band all the time as your surgeon says - your skin needs the support for now. 
  • You are going to need to patient at least 6 - 9 months to tell what the final result is but if you were my patients, I would be very concerned and following you closely.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Problems after facelift

I completely understand your concern, you indeed have significant fullness under your chin considering you had a lift 4 weeks ago. However, I would recommend you are patient as it appears you still have significant swelling. Continue to see your surgeon and be patient. If you still have problems after 3-4 months, you may want to consider a second opinion.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift issue

It looks like you have indurated skin of the  neck. It would also be nice to see preop photos as well. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Post facelift

It would be good to see a pre picture.  In the after you certainly still have some fullness in the neck.  IT looks like you may also have some firm inflammatory tissue in the neck.  Some of this may go away but you should look better at 4 weeks.  You may need some Ultrasound to help break up anything that feels firm.  Injections of anti-inflammatory medication such as steroid and 5-FU may also help.  Take some ibuprofen too.  warm compresses and massage may help to flatten things out.  At 6 months you may need a revision.  May want to consider a chin implant at that time as well to help to define the neck line.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Had full facelift w/ upper bleph 4 weeks ago. Was pleased at first, now have a chin that's as saggy as it was before?

It is difficult to answer your question without examining you in person and seeing photographs of your neck before the surgical procedure.  If it is dramatically improved from its condition before surgery you may simply be seeing an unusual amount of swelling in the area that may resolve.  If you see no improvement then I would be somewhat concerned but still be patient and allow the swelling to resolve in the next 3 to 6 months.  Wearing a headband as much is possible may be helpful along with restricting your salt intake.  Discuss this with your surgeon at your follow up visit and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Post op 4 weeks

It is still early in your recovery and you may still have some residual swelling. You should wait anywhere from 3-6 months before considering any revisions. 

Clayton L. Moliver, MD