Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

I have had 2 c-sections and open hernia repair between the 2 c-sections. When my hernia incision healed it caused me to look like I have 2 belly buttons and my belly button is off center. I have some degree of muscle separation near my belly button. I don't have very many stretch marks from either pregnancy so there isn't that issue to deal with.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. A full abdominoplasty will address the issue of an asymmetric umbilicus as well as the muscle separation.

Tummy tuck more suitable

You appear to have a substantial amount of loose skin, as well as possible muscle separation. For this reason, a full tummy tuck would be more suitable for you.

Full vs Mini Tummy Tuck

Based on your photos, I expect that you would benefit most from a full tummy tuck.

With a mini tummy tuck, you might experience either residual skin laxity or a belly button that is positioned too low.

A full tummy tuck is the better option for treating and preventing skin laxity and bulging in the upper abdominal area.  A full tummy tuck also facilitates a more complete muscle repair. 

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photo you will need a full tummy tuck. A mini will not tighten the skin above your belly button and will pull the belly button way too low:

Full tummy tuck, for sure

Don't lte anyone talk you into a mini tummy tuck. With the amount of excess skin and muscle laxity which you have, a mini tummy tuck will never improve your shape to the degree that is possible with a full tummy tuck. In my humble opinion, you will be much, much happier with the full tummy tuck procedure.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck?

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float, or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Liposuction alone, no matter which type, will not produce a good cosmetic improvement in a patient with your anatomy.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a full tummy tuck?

Based on the laxity in your photo, full muscle repair to correct the diasasis is very important to contour your abdomen. With the lower mid-line scar only the full tummy tuck makes sense and this will allow a smoother lower abdomen without a vertical scar.

Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck

from what I can see in the pictures, I think you would be much better off with a full tummy tuck. I think the mini tuck would leave you with an upper abdomen that would not look good with a tighter lower abdomen.

Julio Garcia, MD

Full tummy tuck required to achieve your desired benefits

In order to remove the excess skin and the C-section scars from the umbilicus (belly button) to the pubic area, a full abdominoplasty would be necessary.  An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is designed to restore a flat tummy by tightening the abdominal wall and muscles as well as removing excess skin and soft tissues.  Your hernia may also require reinforcement with mesh, during the repair of the abdominal wall reconstruction portion of the tummy tuck.
A mini-abdominoplasty cannot achieve these benefits and you will most likely be dissappointed with the limited benefits it affords.
Good luck with your planned surgery!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a full or mini tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs. I think you would most benefit from a full tummy tuck and liposuction of your waist, hips and flanks. The tummy tuck will tighten your stomach muscles, helping to achieve a flatter appearance, while removing excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction can be used to enhance your tummy tuck results by narrowing your waist and removing isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant fat. Hope that this helps.