Follow-Up Question: Full facelift with upper bleph 5 weeks ago. My eyes look great! My face is slightly different. (photos)

My chin? No difference at all. Immediately following surgery I looked great. Sixteen days after I looked great. Five weeks out I look like I did before surgery. Under my chin is slack and wrinkly. I am so disappointed. My PS inserted a needle, but found no fluid. I am wearing my compression band again and see him in two weeks. How can I have such good results and now be back at square one? My chin was the one thing I wanted rid of and it's still here.

Post op facelift swelling

You did look better at 16 days.  A fluid collection such as a seroma would be unusual at 5 weeks.  But in the after you certainly still have some fullness in the neck.  IT looks like you may also have some firm inflammatory tissue in the neck.  Some of this may go away.  Does it feel like there is fluid or firm?   You may need some Ultrasound to help break up anything that feels firm.  Injections of anti-inflammatory medication such as steroid and 5-FU may also help.  Take some ibuprofen too.  warm compresses and massage may help to flatten things out.  At 6 months you may need a revision.  May want to consider a chin implant at that time as well to help to define the neck line.   

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post op results

Since your initial results were to your liking, my hope is that as your body fully recovers (which can take anywhere from 6 months to a year), your neck will return to that initial appearance. Since your surgeon has seen you in person, he or she will know best. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

The initial result was good, so you will likely end that way.

The current healing needs a neck band for compression and ultrasound treatments can also help.

Don't jump off the ship yet!

It takes a long time for the swelling to come out of the neck area because it is so dependent. If it looks good initially this tells you what the contour of the neck will look like once the swelling/inflammation resolves. Once the swelling/inflammation dissipates you should look closer to what you looked like on Day 16. 

It is not unusual if you do not have good quality skin to have some residual vertical folds or wrinkles of the neck that become apparent once the swelling resolves. This is more common in people with sun damage, connective tissue diseases, steroid users, smokers, the elderly and overweight people.  At surgery, the surgeon can have the skin pulled back with adequate tension resolving all the vertical folds and wrinkles. People with poor quality skin will develop some immediate relaxation after the swelling resolves because they do not have good collagen and elastin fibers of the skin. A surgeon cannot prevent this from happening in patients with poor quality skin.  It usually takes six months for the majority of the swelling/inflammation of the connective tissue and skin to dissipate and it usually takes about two years for complete healing. I suggest you wait at least six months to have a better idea of what you are going to look like. If you still have some residual vertical folds of skin or wrinkles, the surgeon later could do some chemical peels or laser treatments to help with additional tightening of the neck skin. You must be realistic that all the residual vertical folds or wrinkles may not be completely resolved especially if you have poor quality skin but they can be improved.

Jeanne A. Scanland, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Facelift results 5 weeks after surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.

I agree that 16 days after your surgery it looked like you may have a decent result. However, at 5 weeks, the neck should be cleaner than it is. It is unfortunately very difficult to say if that could be due to a fluid collection (although it doesn't really appear that way) or something else, without knowing exactly how the procedure was performed or with what technique. I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon. Hopefully he/she can help you. If not, you may have to seek a second opinion in person. Best of luck to you.

Swelling after facelift

hi - it looks like you may have some swelling in the neck region. Seroma at this point would be unusual but not impossible. I would recommend continued compression and an ultrasound scan. 

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Cjcotrell

Thank you for your question and photos!  It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on - without seeing the surgery/technique, and examining you!  Your surgeon will guide you thru your recovery.  If there is firmness ( which is normal) then Ultrasound will help soften, and will bring down the local neck swelling.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Face lift

It looks like you have indurated skin of the  neck. It would also be nice to see preop photos as well. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Facelift postop recovery

Looks like you may have a deep seroma, fluid collection. see your plastic surgeon for his advise. You look better rested then before, natural. Wear compression band to keep the neck in position and keep fluid out. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon