Is there a suggested preparation for Coolsculpting? Day of Recommendation? What is the recommended Aftercare for CoolSculpting?

Looking at CoolSculpting for the back bra fat area and flanks. I understand there is no downtime, although tenderness and bruising in the treated area is not uncommon. What pre planning can be done to achieve best results, and what can be done for the next 4-6 months after to help?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. There is no preparation for cool sculpting. I suggest eating a healthy meal before the procedure. Healthy diet and exercise are very important.  

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Preparation

Coolsculpting is a fabulous tool for reducing a bulge in a given area. We have had great results with our patients. There is absolutely no preparation. I always advise patients after the procedure to continue a healthy life style and exercise. Proper nutrition go hand in hand with consistent excellent results. 

CoolSculpting knowledge will yield best results

CoolSculpting does not require any specific preparation for the procedure.  We emphasize to all of our patients the importance of good nutrition and fitness habits to get and maintain the best results.  In our practice we offer access to nutritional counseling as part of the CoolSculpting protocol and find our patients get consistently excellent results.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

You do not have to do anything to prepare for coolsculpting, although some believe that anti-inflammatories help decrease any pain post procedure.  The inflammation is needed to get the best results, so my suggestion is to do nothing prior to any only after if your physician has a suggested protocol.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting can lead to inflammation

One of the major issues is swelling.  Although it may be less obvious there is still swelling so we place our patients in light compression.  Although several will argue that anti-inflammatories should not be taken I believe they help avoid some if not all of the nerve pain that can be associated with the procedure.

Coolsculpting preparation and aftercare

Each physician will have his or her guidlelines for coolsculpting preparation and aftercare. We ask patients to let us know what medications that they take as we try to minimize the use of blood thinners prior to the procedure. On the day of the procedure, the most important aspect is to be comfortable both in terms of the clothing you wear and to ensure that you are not feeling rushed on the day of treatment.

It is important to live a healthy lifestyle and maintain your weight.

Consult with your physician to understand his or her guidelines.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. While Coolsculpting has been used effectively to treat back fat and bra line fat, that is an off label use as it has been FDA cleared for just abdomen and flank treatment. While there is no preparation necessary, to maintain results, a patient needs to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for CoolSculpting

The best thing you can do to prepare for your CoolSculpting treatment and get the best results is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. We give all of our clients aftercare instructions following their treatment, but there's really not much that needs to be done. The bruising will resolve itself with time and our patients have not required any pain medication.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon