What is the recommended preparation for and aftercare for the Coolsculpting procedure?

I want to do my best to get the best results. I am looking to have the treatment done on the upper back fat (bra overhang) area, and flanks.

CoolSculpting aftercare

I agree, this is one of the advantages to CoolSculpting. There is no standard recommended preparation or aftercare with a CoolSculpting procedure. Maintaining an active lifestyle with a healthy diet and regular exercise, as well as staying well hydrated, are typical recommendations and likely to help you get the best result possible.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Preparation and aftercare for Coolsculpting for back fat and flanks

The best part of Coolsculpting is that there is no preparation or after care required for the procedure.  I have treated many patients for the upper back and flanks with fabulous results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who has a great deal of experience with Coolsculpting for the best results.

Before and after instructions for CoolSculpting

There are no "standard of care" instructions but I recommend avoiding blood thinners (aspirin, advil, motrin, etc.) for a week or so prior to treatment as long as these have not been prescribed by your doctor and staying active and well hydrated after treatment.  I recommend continuing your normal diet and exercise routine. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting procedure

One of the reasons Coolsculpting is so successful is that there is little preparation required for the fat freezing treatment and minimal downtime following the treatment. Maintain a healthy stable diet and avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and prescription blood thinners to minimize bruising prior to treatment.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Recommended preparation for and aftercare for the Coolsculpting procedure

Each physician has his or her own guidelines for post treatment care. You should follow your physician's protocols. Prior to treatment avoid blood thinners to minimize bruising post treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. The FDA has approved this treatment for abdomen and flanks. However, there are several other areas that have been treated successfully, although as an off label application. Avoiding things that "thin the blood" may reduce bruising and afterwards you can follow your physician's instructions.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pre and Post CoolSculpting care

Dear WestTXhappy:

CoolSculpting (CS) is now a tried and true method for very limited fat loss in areas of fatty bulges. Consider that the fat is gone but you will have to maintain the new weight. This means a lifestyle change in your nutrition and / or calorie reduction and exercise.

Since CS removes up to 20% of fat in a well executed procedure, depending on the small (approximately 100 grams) or large (approximately 200 grams) of fat are lost. There are about 454 grams of fat to the pound, so you can easily figure how much you have to lose on the scale before the fat will redistribute to other living fat cells. 

Unfortunately, CS does not tighten the overlying skin but I, as many others do observe that the skin will shrink down to the less fatty bulge. As more technology develops, skin tightening will also help.

I hope this has been helpful! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting optimization

Coolsculpting is an excellent option for treatment of diet and exercise resistant fat in patients with good skin tone and no contraindications to the procedure such as cold insensitivity.  To optimize your results, you should be at your goal weight.  Before and aftercare are rather uncomplicated as long as you understand the typical post-procedural experience with the potential for temporary burning, numbness and time needed for results.  Best of luck!

Brooke French, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Care

Nothing but following the right diet and exercise is what you need.  Go to the best doctor, as I see many complications from noninvasive devices that I am fixing with properly performed liposuction/contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting Aftercare

The best thing you can do to get the best CoolSculpting results is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. The beauty about the CoolSculpting procedure is that there is no other aftercare required. For answers to more common CoolSculpting questions please click the link below. Thanks.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon